Can chicks differentiate between sexes

Faraz1

Songster
Aug 16, 2019
So i have 2 sets of Ko shamos, one is definetly a pair which are in a flock with 3 other chicks (silkies). Lets call them Flock-A. The flock is around 9 weeks old now.

I recently hatched another pair of ko shamos that are around 5 eeks old and i suspect are both males. Lets call them Flodb-B.

I have tried placing them in the cage with the flock-A above and they seem to get attacked by the ko shamo male of flock-A.

Is this just general flock behaivour or are they getting attacked because they are males ? Do you think the Flock-A male already knows the flock-B 2 chicks are male

I think gender does not matter at the moment as the flock A suspected male is just protecting their "home" and resources against the intruders.

Have them living side by side in a see but no touch area for a few weeks or put both flocks at the same time in a completely unknown coop and run, so none of them will feel the need to defend their territory as all of them are new to it.

And if you do join the two flocks, provide at least two feeders and water dispensers.

What color do have? If you have Wheaten, you yourself can already know the gender at this age, haha.

As for whether they do, maybe, but Ko Shamos are an oriental game breed. They are aggressive to other birds, it's in their DNA. Even hens will fight pretty nastily when introduced to new hens, if you don't do it slowly. Heck, the hens will try to beat up roosters that you are introducing to them if you don't do it slowly. Roosters will beat up hens that won't back down.

So in this case, it's probably just their game nature - he's fighting with them to establish he is the boss. He won't back down at all until he believes he has firmly established that. Game breeds don't back down from a fight - it's what they were bred for. Even though Kos were never actually used for that purpose, they were still bred to have the game nature and personality of their bigger cousins that were.

As for my chicks (closest to game that I have are Cornish bantam and phoenix), they don't usually start showing issues towards other males until their hormones start. My older males only spar younger ones when the younger ones misbehave or instigate.

No idea about that specific breed, but in my very limited experience: both my cockrels seemed to know each other as male from the time they were very small chicks. They sparred with each other most often. One other chick picked some pretty serious fights with both boys when they were all in their "teenage" phase, but she turned out to be the head hen.

@Pyxis They were sold to me as hatching eggs (Red Pyle) color.

Here are the pics of the mature pair (9 weeks old) and Chick A & B (Both 5 weeks old). Not sure if you can tell by the pics / face profile of Chick A and B. Chick A looks like a male to me. Unsure about Chick B !

Attachments

• Pair.JPG
    Pair.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Pair-1.JPG
    Pair-1.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Chick-A-B.JPG
    Chick-A-B.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 7
  • Chick-A.JPG
    Chick-A.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Chick-B.JPG
    Chick-B.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Chick-B-Face.JPG
    Chick-B-Face.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 10
@Pyxis They were sold to me as hatching eggs (Red Pyle) color.

Here are the pics of the mature pair (9 weeks old) and Chick A & B (Both 5 weeks old). Not sure if you can tell by the pics / face profile of Chick A and B. Chick A looks like a male to me. Unsure about Chick B !

Chick A looks like a male Wheaten. B would be female if wheaten, but that's a pretty pink comb for that. I can't tell what color, but he might be male too.

Red Pyle is unusual! Well, in the US is it. Are you in the US or somewhere where the breed is more common in more colors?

I am based in the UK ! The person who sold me the eggs also said that the red pyle produce other colors as well, hence why i might also have a wheaten male on my hands as well.

Updates. What do you think @Pyxis

Attachments

• IMG_0272~2.jpg
    IMG_0272~2.jpg
    582.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0269~2.jpg
    IMG_0269~2.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0271~2.jpg
    IMG_0271~2.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 5

Back