Can I ship a single chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by abanjaf, May 31, 2010.

1. abanjaf

abanjaf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Cocoa, Florida
    I've been planning on shipping a single 7 week old chick across the country. It has occurred to me that it may be even more stressful on him due to the fact that he'll be alone. Do you think the trip will be too much for him to handle alone? He'll be traveling from FL to OR. I just want to make sure that he's going to be okay. He's a special needs chick (hatched out of a batch I ordered from Michigan). The post office had done a number on the eggs, cracked eggs, displaced air cells, etc. I don't know if any of that contributed to his current health status or not. Anyway, the reason for shipping him across the country is to rehome him to someone who will care for him and his special needs. So, anyone out there with shipping experience?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Shipping is very stressful on any bird so I would think it would be especially hard on a bird who already has health issues. If you feel like you have to do this I'd wait until he's older to do it.

3. abanjaf

Mar 17, 2009
    Cocoa, Florida
    Quote:He is actually healthy, just crippled:( Spent hours on the internet researching and tried every splinting/taping/chair method found to no avail. He can hobble to food/water, but spends most of his time lying down. He is so sweet. I wish I would have culled him at the beginning, but now it's too late. He's melted everyone's heart in the family. My daughter named him Sparrow (after Captain Jack Sparrow).

I have two short videos of him. In the first one, I'm trying to get him to walk and he's not cooperating. In the second video, I brought him outside and you can see how he hobbles around (notice how splayed his legs are and how curled his feet are when I zoom in at the end of the video).

4. abanjaf

Mar 17, 2009
    Cocoa, Florida
    Anyone else have any input? Just want this little guy to have a good life!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by