Can I show a 'big boy' rooster at bird shows?

It does not have to be male and can be any size or age. I would say that using a fully matured bird is going to look better than bringing in a 2 week old chick. No, it does not have to be a purebred for showmanship. But you need to know how to handle the bird in order to show the judge what you know about your bird.

As to how old your chick is, it depends on the breed.

They are mixes. I tried submitting a group shot I got of them last year but it's a bmp and I don't know how to fiddle with those kinda things.
I guess I'll try to remember the breeds. Wow I can't remember.. Heh I'll have to go on 'what breed or gender is this?' again.
I know one of the hens has andalusian in her.. And leghorn I believe.
So I would tell the judges about what I know on the hen both in breed(s) and personality? Or do they ask me questions? I'm not very good at speeches.

a bird must be at least 4 months old to be tested for pullorium. if you state requires it. they should also be old enough you can sex it(silkies can take awhile ). you should use a pure bred bird at an apa show. mixed birds are ok for showmanhip at the county fair. I would go to the show and talk to some breeders. or contact the person you got your sussex from and see if they have something you can show

California does not require testing for exhibition, so age for pullorum testing is irrelevant in this case. I've never seen showmanship where the purity of the bird mattered so long as the exhibitor knew the breed or cross, and any faults. They will not ask about a bird's individual personality, although they may ask about breed characteristics (such as silkies being a very broody breed, or a plymouth rock or orpington being a dual purpose breed.

They will ask about various parts for the bird (name the parts of the wing, and show each part) or hte type of comb, or where the bird originated, etc.

I do agree that the bird needs to be at least near maturity--6 months old minimum IMO.

I'll get more information about the bird show from the person who told me. I would love to use my andalusian/leghorn mix. She's almost a year old.
Actually can you guys do me a favor? I wanna be certain as to which of my ladies I should use! Can you guys look at the pics of some of my hens (I'll post them up when I get pics soon) and tell me any faults? They are mixed breeds and I remembered that three of them have brahma and one is brahmaxorpington.
Two of them have huge earlobes.

Back
Top Bottom