Can I still use my diatomaceous earth ? (safer brand)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by connor97, Aug 22, 2014.

1. connor97

connor97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay so I bought non food grade diatomaceous earth Im pretty sure. I went to the store & bought the right kind to put in my coop & chicken feed for deworming & bug control. However, I was wondering if it would be safe to mix the non food grade diatomaceous earth in the chickens dust bath. The brand is called safer brand, it doesn't say food grade on the bag, however their website states this: "Beware. Not all DE is the same. Our DE is made of Silicon Dioxide. This comes from a freshwater source. It is the same type as used in food-grade diatomaceous earth. Be careful of products made of Diatomite DE. It is made from unnatural sources."
    It's too late to return it now so I want to make good use of it if I can. I will admit ive been using this bag for the past few months under the coop bedding & in their dust bath as I was unaware of the differences between food grade & non food grade (still new to chicken owning). I haven't noticed any illnesses or problems with my chickens so far, however I wont be buying this brand again now that I know to use a brand that is for sure food grade. Don't worry, I haven't added the safer brand to their feed as I just recently found out you need to worm chickens every so often with diatomaceous earth food grade. Please let me know what you think chicken experts! :)

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    DE will not kill internal parasites, tho it's pretty good at killing insects in a dry environment, but when airborne it is a serious respiratory irritant. I use it in the cracks and crevices of my wooden nest boxes but would not put it in a dust bath. JMHO.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by