Can I store a basket of eggs in the fridge?

cereall

Chirping
May 26, 2016
San Luis Obispo County, CA
I'm going to be getting around 300-400 eggs a week. I plan to pack what I have in cartons one or two days a week. I don't have any egg trays and was wondering if I can just refrigerate the eggs for a couple days in the basket I collect them in. Will that damage the eggs or make them go bad faster?

EBQ-2.jpg

I'm going to be getting around 300-400 eggs a week. I plan to pack what I have in cartons one or two days a week. I don't have any egg trays and was wondering if I can just refrigerate the eggs for a couple days in the basket I collect them in. Will that damage the eggs or make them go bad faster?

EBQ-2.jpg
I don't think it would make any difference whether in a basket or in a carton. Actually you don't even need to refrigerate them - you could just leave them out at room temperature (not in the sun of course) until you're ready to package and put in the fridge. They'll keep quite a while at room temperature.

I know I'm not required to refrigerate them but I'm selling to grocery stores and restaurants and they'd prefer that I do. My concern with baskets is that I've never seen anyone store them in that, only in cartons or egg trays. That's really great that I don't have to be moving all those eggs around so much. Thanks!

I've stored them in a basket I the fridge for years.
I don't see why that would matter at all.
Only think I can think of is with that many eggs you don't want so many in one basket that the bottom ones get crushed.

I'm thinking of getting 3 baskets and using each basket for 2 days, which would be about 10 dozen eggs per basket. On the last day of the week I'll put them straight into cartons. Hopefully that doesn't damage them.

I have a book on quails and she suggested using ice cube trays to collect the eggs in as perfect size and don't roll about and get damaged but u would need a lot for ur amount of eggs
1f600.png

Wow that's an excellent idea! Never thought of that! I only have one adult laying eggs at the moment but when my chicks start laying too this will be a great idea to store them in the fridge! My ten year old loves the eggs! Having two boiled for breakfast before school some mornings!

Back
Top Bottom