Can I switch eggs under hen?

MeSing2u

Chirping
Feb 27, 2022
Hello,
I have a broody hen that has been sitting on her eggs for about 10 days. None of them are viable or fertilized. I have a dozen fertile eggs that I purchased and wondered if it would be better to throw out the bad eggs and switch them for my purchased fertilized eggs? I was originally going to put them in my incubator but I've always heard it was best to use a broody hen if possible. I don't want to have her sit too long, If that's a bad thing. What do you all think?

Hello,
I have a broody hen that has been sitting on her eggs for about 10 days. None of them are viable or fertilized. I have a dozen fertile eggs that I purchased and wondered if it would be better to throw out the bad eggs and switch them for my purchased fertilized eggs? I was originally going to put them in my incubator but I've always heard it was best to use a broody hen if possible. I don't want to have her sit too long, If that's a bad thing. What do you all think?

It might or might not work. She might sit long enough to hatch them or she might give up before they're done.

You could put them under her but be ready to move them to an incubator if she gives up.

You never know what will happen with living animals but I'd give it a try.

Before a hen even starts to lay she builds up a lot of excess fat. That fat is mostly what the hen lives off of while she is broody. Different hens store up different amounts of fat and some broody hens eat more when they come off of the nest for their daily constitutional than others so different hens can last different lengths of time. I can't tell you how much fat your hen has left. I often do not give my hens eggs to hatch until they have been broody for a week and I've never had one to quit. I'd try it.

If you want to hedge your bets you can give the hen half and incubate the others in the incubator. Start them at the same time. If some hatch from each the hen will probably be happy to raise them all.

Several years ago I tried to time a broody hatch to when my granddaughter was visiting. One of the eggs under the broody was thin-shelled and broke, getting all the other eggs messy. None hatched. You never know what will happen in an incubator or under a broody. I'm just glad I had not told my granddaughter what I was doing. Since then, when I give a broody eggs I also start some in the incubator. That way the broody should always have chicks to raise. That paid off when a snake ate all the eggs out from under another broody hen. She was still able to raise the incubator chicks.

Is she a proven broody? Has she successfully raised a batch of chicks before and done a good job with them? Be prepared for good and bad outcomes if you give her eggs, and hope you will be pleasantly surprised when everything goes well.

It's all about assessing risk and your tolerance for risk. Half in the incubator and half under the broody, like Ridgerunner suggested, is probably the safest choice.

I'm assuming you have a trusted and reliable incubator. If not, a proven broody might be a better option, even with the random things that could happen.

You never know what will happen with living animals but I'd give it a try.

Before a hen even starts to lay she builds up a lot of excess fat. That fat is mostly what the hen lives off of while she is broody. Different hens store up different amounts of fat and some broody hens eat more when they come off of the nest for their daily constitutional than others so different hens can last different lengths of time. I can't tell you how much fat your hen has left. I often do not give my hens eggs to hatch until they have been broody for a week and I've never had one to quit. I'd try it.

If you want to hedge your bets you can give the hen half and incubate the others in the incubator. Start them at the same time. If some hatch from each the hen will probably be happy to raise them all.

Several years ago I tried to time a broody hatch to when my granddaughter was visiting. One of the eggs under the broody was thin-shelled and broke, getting all the other eggs messy. None hatched. You never know what will happen in an incubator or under a broody. I'm just glad I had not told my granddaughter what I was doing. Since then, when I give a broody eggs I also start some in the incubator. That way the broody should always have chicks to raise. That paid off when a snake ate all the eggs out from under another broody hen. She was still able to raise the incubator chicks.
Thank you all for your input. My hen has been the best momma and has successfully raised her chicks in the past. I'm going to do half with her and half in my incubator. I actually had her in my utility room because my other hens were literally laying their eggs on top of her, growling at her. She seemed content after I moved her.

Keeping my fingers crossed! 🤞
Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom