Can I take my chicks outside now?

chickenlil

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 27, 2013
I have 4 chicks between 3-4 weeks old. I've had them outside with the top of their crate covering them and open to the ground and, once it was completely finished, also in their covered run. They love it. Can they stay outside overnight now? I live in the Boston Metrowest area. Our temps today are going to be in the low 80s during the day with a low of 57 overnight. I have a BR, an orpington, an easter egger, and a NH.

They should be fine. If you can, set up a heat lamp in the coop just in case they get chilled at night. I always put my chicks out at 4 weeks with a heat lamp in the corner of the coop, even in colder temps & they've always done just fine.

I think that they will be fine outside at those temperatures. If they get cold, then can always huddle together, or you can use a heat lamp.

I was wondering the same thing. Our lowest low is 67 this week. I have 5 1/2 wk old silkies with a small coop for them til they get big enough to be housed with my big girls. I dont want to have to add a heat lamp... And there is only 2 of them. Think i should wait a bit longer to put them outside?

I was wondering the same thing. Our lowest low is 67 this week. I have 5 1/2 wk old silkies with a small coop for them til they get big enough to be housed with my big girls. I dont want to have to add a heat lamp... And there is only 2 of them. Think i should wait a bit longer to put them outside?
Try letting them outside for a bit, while you watch them. If they don't cluster together, peeping frantically, I think that they will be fine.
smile.png

Try letting them outside for a bit, while you watch them. If they don't cluster together, peeping frantically, I think that they will be fine.
smile.png
They have been going outside most of the day now. they LOVE it! I even plopped them in with my big girls for a bit so I could move their coops next to each other so they could become friendly and they were all playing nice :)

Back
Top Bottom