Can I take my chicks outside now?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenlil, Aug 10, 2013.

1. chickenlil

chickenlil New Egg

Jul 27, 2013
    I have 4 chicks between 3-4 weeks old. I've had them outside with the top of their crate covering them and open to the ground and, once it was completely finished, also in their covered run. They love it. Can they stay outside overnight now? I live in the Boston Metrowest area. Our temps today are going to be in the low 80s during the day with a low of 57 overnight. I have a BR, an orpington, an easter egger, and a NH.

2. goldencomets6

goldencomets6 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2012
    They should be fine. If you can, set up a heat lamp in the coop just in case they get chilled at night. I always put my chicks out at 4 weeks with a heat lamp in the corner of the coop, even in colder temps & they've always done just fine.

3. chickenlil

chickenlil New Egg

Jul 27, 2013
    Thank you! I feel like they are probably ready.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that they will be fine outside at those temperatures. If they get cold, then can always huddle together, or you can use a heat lamp.

5. thehainline5

thehainline5 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2013
    I was wondering the same thing. Our lowest low is 67 this week. I have 5 1/2 wk old silkies with a small coop for them til they get big enough to be housed with my big girls. I dont want to have to add a heat lamp... And there is only 2 of them. Think i should wait a bit longer to put them outside?

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Try letting them outside for a bit, while you watch them. If they don't cluster together, peeping frantically, I think that they will be fine. [​IMG]

7. thehainline5

thehainline5 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2013
    They have been going outside most of the day now. they LOVE it! I even plopped them in with my big girls for a bit so I could move their coops next to each other so they could become friendly and they were all playing nice :)

8. goldencomets6

goldencomets6 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2012
    Glad it's working out for you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by