Can I take the hatching egg?

Chicksnmind

Songster
Feb 16, 2018
Central Florida
Today I found the first of our 5 eggs hatched and little dark chick. I took the first chick in the house and put it under the heat lamp since two of the eggs were laid a couple days later. So I checked tonight and a 2nd egg is hatching.

Can I take the hatching egg and bring it inside to watch it hatch or does it need to stay under my silkie while it hatches?

The pictures are of the first baby chick.
3C8C66A9-D74A-4D4F-86FD-87D0385E9DB5.jpeg
49B4F515-4ABF-4A78-8805-E490422A5796.jpeg

Last edited:
Today I found the first of our 5 eggs hatched and little dark chick. I took the first chick in and out it under the heat lamp since two of the eggs were laid a couple days later. So I checked tonight and a 2nd egg is hatching.

Can I take the hatching egg and bring it inside to watch it hatch or does it need to stay under my silkie while it hatches?

The pictures are of the first baby chick.
View attachment 1580045 View attachment 1580046

I often take hatching eggs from under broodies to watch them hatch. But only in the very final stages of hatching, like, the last little bit of unzipping. It has never hurt any of the chicks/ducklings, and my young siblings love watching the little ones make their entrance into this world!

How long do they usually take? There are a couple of cracks and I saw the tip of it beak poking the egg.

First the chick pips, and then it begins to 'unzip'. It will make a crack the entire way around the top of the egg and then push out. Can you post a picture of the egg? I'll be able to make an estimate as to how long it will be before the little one hatches. GTG, I have to go check on my ducklings :)

F766ACD9-F909-496C-ADAA-3766EFE6209F.jpeg
First the chick pips, and then it begins to 'unzip'. It will make a crack the entire way around the top of the egg and then push out. Can you post a picture of the egg? I'll be able to make an estimate as to how long it will be before the little one hatches. GTG, I have to go check on my ducklings :)

I think in the beginning stages? It’s chirping

View attachment 1580068

I think in the beginning stages? It’s chirping
It has begun to unzip, unless you have an up and running incubator, it is not advisable to take the egg at this stage. Check back in 20 minutes or so and see. That's a good beginning of an unzip, so within the hour it should be out. Patience is key at this point. Good luck! I have eggs due to hatch on the 14th, and the wait is killing me!

No I don’t have a incubator. It’s ok to take the chick once it’s out though and put it under the heat lamp?

It will be okay if you do that once it hatches. Are you going to give the chicks back to the broody when all of the eggs have hatched?

Back
Top Bottom