Can I trust a new AncuTherm thermometer?

Happy Helper

Songster
5 Years
Mar 12, 2018
Sunbury, Ohio
I have an IncuTherm thermometer that is around two years old. I am comparing the temperatures in my new Nurture Right 360 to that thermometer and am getting a difference of 1.1 degrees. I don't know which is correct. Should I purchase another one to determine which one is correct? Or will I have three different readings!

Unless you calibrate or buy a guaranteed accurate thermometer, all buying another thermometer will get you is another reading that you aren't sure of.
You can't trust the temperature reading on any incubator nor would I bet an accurite is close enough for incubation.

Thanks, I'm sure your right. The two thermometers are starting to almost agree. The incubator reads 99.5 and the IncumTherm reads 99.1. I have a few days to figure out what I will do since my eggs don't come until next week.

Another thing to consider is the response time of the thermometer. I think the Accurite only updates every couple minutes. I have 2 thermometers that are instant read. Most thermometers aren't that fast. You could stick any old thermometer in there along with an instant read and they will be far off from each other even if they are both accurate till they both come to temperature and regulate.

My two recommendations for accuracy out of the box that won't break the bank are the Brinsea spot check and the Thermoworks RT301WA

Spot Check Digital Incubator Thermometer
The Brinsea Spot Check is a very accurate, easily read incubator thermometer specifically designed for incubation with a range of 32° - 40°C (90º to 104ºF).
www.brinsea.com

ThermoWorks RT301WA Super-Fast® Pocket Thermometer
The RT301WA digital pocket thermometer is top rated by a leading Cook's Magazine. The Super-Fast thermometer reads temperatures in just 5 seconds.
www.thermoworks.com
www.thermoworks.com

The latter is my favorite.

Can the thermoworks thermometer be left in the incubator? Also, I think my incubator cannot be adjusted excepted in .5 increments. I haven't tried to change it but I read it somewhere in the discussions about the NutureRight 360. I will take your suggestion and purchase one of the thermometers you suggest.

You can leave it in the incubator but it has an auto shutoff after 1 hour. That's OK if you have a hole you can insert the probe into. I also leave it in my sportsman cabinets but it responds so quickly, I turn it on and then go back after about 15 minutes to see what it reads. I have another dual channel thermometer from Thermoworks that is pretty close with one sensor in an incubator and another in the hatcher. It also has high/low alarms.
https://www.thermoworks.com/RT8100MATIt stays on all the time.

Back
Top Bottom