Can I turn the heat lamp off now? I'm worried about fire!

eggspletive!

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 9, 2009
After reading about heat lamp fires here, I'm really getting anxious to turn mine off. I've got three chicks, 7 weeks old, in a 3 x 5 coop. It's getting into the low 30s at night now. Will they be okay if we stop using it?

I'm terrified about a heater fire also. When I purchased my new chicks I found and awesome heater called sweeter heater. Look up their website and if you tell them you will use it for raising poultry there is no handling or shipping fee. The unit is sealed and can't start a fire and best of all it's washable with water and soap. I love it.

Regarding the chicks....is your coop wind proof and waterproof? With only 3 chicks I'm not sure if they will be O.K. just yet at night. If you want you can make a 'snuggle box' for them. Put a box of some sort in the corner so the box is only open on one side. Make sure the top of the box , when the chicks go inside, is not too far above their heads. I line the bottom and sides with a few old towels and then but bedding on top of that. This way I know they can snuggle in a enclosed space that will contain their body heat and hopefully they will be more comfortable. Hope this helps.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom