Can I turn the incubator into a brooder for a few days?

Rosie65

Chirping
Dec 29, 2019
Lapel, Indiania
So, it looks like I’ve got three chicks with one only just pipping. my question is, if everyone is hatched and dried out and happily plodding around in there can I leave them in there for say the first 5 days if I put some food and water in there? I’m just thinking it would be easier to maintain temperature and I can bring humidity right down.

So, it looks like I’ve got three chicks with one only just pipping. my question is, if everyone is hatched and dried out and happily plodding around in there can I leave them in there for say the first 5 days if I put some food and water in there? I’m just thinking it would be easier to maintain temperature and I can bring humidity right down.
Not turning it on? I guess you can... But the question is... Is it safe? I haven't thought about that. But I guess that will work.

I wouldn't do it. As @featheredplanets said, an incubator is a pretty messy place after a hatch (bacteria soup - dander floating everywhere and hatching gunk in the water and stuck on the incubator)...I try to get hatchlings out of the hatcher and into a clean brooder as quickly as I safely can, for that very reason. A big cardboard box or plastic tote lined with paper towels (I also add shelf liner to help with traction) and a Mama Heating Pad in a secure, draft-free area, can serve as a brooder in a pinch.

Why can’t you get/make an actual brooder?
I do have one. Just a big plastic tote, heat lamp etc. I’m just getting worried about draughts etc. I’ve bought chicks before at tractor supply and have never lost any but these guys are so tiny. I’ve picked my place in the house for a week, no draughty etc and then they will go out to the garage where I raised the others Until the could go to the coop.

leave them until all the chicks are hatched and dry. i wouldnt leave for longer than 1-2 days, they need to start drinking water around that time. if you have a chick that isn't dry by that time you can dry it carefully with a hair dryer on lowish heat or hold it to the brooding plate (assuming youre not using heat lamp)

leave them until all the chicks are hatched and dry. i wouldnt leave for longer than 1-2 days, they need to start drinking water around that time. if you have a chick that isn't dry by that time you can dry it carefully with a hair dryer on lowish heat or hold it to the brooding plate (assuming youre not using heat lamp)
Had to change plans. The third one was being ‘helped’ to hatch which was fine but once he got out the other two wouldn’t leave him alone. Pecking all the time, feet, head, everywhere so I set up the brooder and moved the older 2 over. One is 24 hours and the other is 18 and they are chirping away in their new home so I think we will be fine. I’ll let the other one have 36 hours of peace and quiet and then move him over. Any other tips? I’ve dunked their beaks and will do that every hour or so until I see them drink on their own

listen all my birds ive ever hatched and put them in the brooder theyve all died its onnly recently that i know the incubator dosent kill them now it is on week 1 so if this happens to you get an incubator with a fan and put it 36.1

Back
Top Bottom