Can I turn these nest boxes into poop boards?

If you made your current nest boxes the roosts, you could put wooden crates or make something similar in front of one of them on the floor, for a nest box. If you made a box, you could hinge a lid to make it easy to collect the eggs. You would just have to scrape the top off when needed. I would also put a fake egg inside the new nest box area to encourage them to lay there.

Last edited:
Hey guys!
The first thing that is gonna come up on this thread, is how badly designed my coop is. Yes, I have to agree. My dad built it before I joined, and before I knew anything about chickens. When this coop was build all I knew was chickens need, water, food, run, coop, and to be able to free range. Since then, I have learned so much, along with space requirements, and that chickens can't sleep in nesting boxes.. The coop is 3ftx3ft, (I know I know) housing 4 hens 1 rooster. Its build tiny and tall, its 8ft tall so you can walk into it. It has no room for perches, and the chickens end up sleeping in the nesting boxes despite my efforts for perches.
I would prefer to sell this coop, and build a coop with proper space requirements, and all kinds of other things I really want for my coop. But, my dad is set on keeping it, so here I am, making it work.
The nesting boxes are build sticking out of the coop, and are simply, long, 3 ft boxes. I'm wondering if I can replace the tiny barrier that holds shavings in, with a 2x4, fill the boxes with sand, and some how attach 2x4's to either side of the box to make a poop board. They could then lay on the floor of the coop which they already do, and they will finally have perches that will be easy to clean, and won't take up space.
Ideas? What has worked best for you at the bottom of your poop boards? Sand, pine shavings?
Pictures coming. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Can't find your pics!

Alright, so the amount of birds in that coop has dropped. I recently lost one of the hens that lived in there, so I only have 4 birds in there now. I'm definilty going to talk about expending the coop, but until then, I'll work on putting the birds were I want them. I think I'll turn one nest box into a poop board, since they like to sleep in those int boxes, and the older birds will find it easier to climb onto a low poop board rather then jumping to a perch. Then, I'll try the perches in the back wall, and place them like a ladder like recommended. Then the younger Buff can perch there.
I'll keep you posted on expanding the coop, and how it goes going forward.

Back
Top Bottom