Can I use a broody in the fall?

Would you guys suggest putting her in the garage, or sectioning off part of the coop with wire?
I don't see why not. Just if you do, when you're getting ready to place them outside, be sure they're not too used to warmer temperatures should the outdoor temperatures be much colder. That can be harmful too.

I’m trying to make this as streamlined as possible so my parents will let me do this... I’m thinking we can borrow brooder supplies from my friends, get some TSC chicks, and line up homes for them so that when she kicks them out, they can be rehomed without hassle.

I’m trying to make this as streamlined as possible so my parents will let me do this... I’m thinking we can borrow brooder supplies from my friends, get some TSC chicks, and line up homes for them so that when she kicks them out, they can be rehomed without hassle.
Have you tried giving your broody a cold bath to discourage her?

No. We’ve been jailing her for like 3 weeks, but she is still broody.
My Maisy was wicked broody too. I finally gave up and gave her some eggs. I have heard of people placing their broodies in pools and stuff to discourage them, and they say it works. I love chicks, so any excuse to get new ones are good. Just you're saying that you'll rehome the chicks as soon as they're old enough. How will you know if they're old enough? Some mother hens will try holding onto their chicks till they go broody again.

My Maisy was wicked broody too. I finally gave up and gave her some eggs. I have heard of people placing their broodies in pools and stuff to discourage them, and they say it works. I love chicks, so any excuse to get new ones are good. Just you're saying that you'll rehome the chicks as soon as they're old enough. How will you know if they're old enough? Some mother hens will try holding onto their chicks till they go broody again.
I thought that they naturally kick out the chicks at like 6-8 weeks old because they no longer need their mother?

I thought that they naturally kick out the chicks at like 6-8 weeks old because they no longer need their mother?
It depends on your mother hen. Some might, I think my Maisy has, but she'll still look after them to a point. I had a hen who I took her chicks away that was older than that, and she cried and cried over those chicks for months, and was never the same after that.

Back
Top Bottom