Can i use a UTH for the brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by conny63malies, Mar 28, 2008.

1. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Some of you might know that i own some reptiles. So i have some surplus supplies around. I was wondering if i could use heat tape under the brooder(plastic tub) to keep them warm too. I also have ceramic heat admiters , red light bulbs and some of of those dome light bulb holder things that you clamp on to the tank. Whatever i will use i will put a thermostat in between. What is the best heat source for chicks

2. tygab

tygab Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    MA/NH border
    I don't know about the tape stuff but after reading this board I did get a 100 w ceramic bulb, so now I have one 250 w red lamp and 1 100 w ceramic. I have tried out both and I think my plan is to go with the 250 red bulb for their initial 2 weeks with height adjustment for temp, then switching to the 100 w at a lower height for the last two, and then out in the barn/coop for extra heat. I like that the ceramic lets them just have natural light, but the 250 watt is very powerful and will warm up a good area of my brooder for when they are most vulnerable. If I had a higher ceramic I'd consider that from the get go.

A lot of people here use the ceramic. I suggest you try them with your set up and see which lights and wattages give you the right temperature combinations, with them starting at 95 over a big enough section of the brooder that they can all fit (and room to get away from the heat too).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by