Can I use an aquarium heater to keep duck water unfrozen?

Dont dare use the glass ones, but they make great ones out of stainless steel That work perfectly.With themostat outside water DRS FOSTER AND SMITH CATALOG

i would NOT used it might break and duck can get cut on the glass if they drank it.
due to cold
or lack of water due water drop
people have heater bucket
or heater dog water bowl
or cookie tin heater with a pan on top of it but they have it in coop

I should have clarified--the heaters I have are the expensive all-plastic submersible sort. So... any dangers I should be aware of since they're not glass?
smile.png

I think the biggest problem is that they are designed to work at room temp and only have to raise the aquarium water temp by a little bit. They are just not very powerful. A cheap bucket heater may be all you need. Or use a heated dog bowl and simply put their water bucket into it.

Where do I get these cheap heaters?
big_smile.png
I have three separate pens that all need their own water, and I really don't want to spend a lot. I was hoping to use what I already have, but I can see the point about them being designed to operate at room temp.

In the past, I've just changed their water twice daily, but I really don't want to do that this winter, especially with as many ducks as I have now.

Fortunately, winters are mild here, but we still might have a couple weeks or more in a row where I'm changing water twice daily. Bleah!
smile.png

Thanks!

I've purchased mine at the feed store 4 years ago and it runs about 6 months per year in my water fountain to keep the water open for the birds. I did pay about 10 dollars for it. This is a picture of it I found on the web.
21horsebucket.jpg

It does look like they are not making this one anymore, but there are others out there.

Back
Top Bottom