can I use blue magic marker instead of Blu-Kote for comb?

patandchickens

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Ontario, Canada
The chick (2 wks old) with the humongous comb development -- big and red -- is getting it a bit pecked by the others. Not terribly, but there are some scabs and 'dings' on it. I do have a red bulb in the lamps, but I thought that un-reddening the comb would help also, since I can't do anything about the color of the general light in the coop.

Could I use a blue magic marker, either washable or permanent, and just 'doodle' on the comb, instead of using Blu-Kote or crankcase oil or the other standards? It would be a lot easier and I already have blue magic markers. If nobody replies by tonight I'll prolly just go ahead and do it, but this is peoples' chance to say "Oh my gosh for heaven's sake whatever you do, don't do that" or whatever
wink.png

Thanks in advance for opinions,

Pat

Last edited:
The reason for putting stuff on the bird to protect from pecking is to make it taste bad, the color isn't the problem. If you feel you need to do this, the blue kote works very well. Good luck!

Color is a problem as chickens peck at red. I used a washable non-toxic marker on my chick that got pecked. Worked great. Someone else mixes blue food color with rubbing alcohol and said that works too!

Chickens will peck at anything that stands out to them, they will peck at blue too, guaranteed. They love to peck at the purple blue kote color until they taste if for the first time... This is why anti peck meds taste bad.

Back
Top Bottom