1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I use cedar chips in my coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3, Jan 4, 2012.

1. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    Well I got the chips for the winter. Any medical concerns, or are the chips fine? [​IMG]
    Thanks

2. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    No.

3. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Are you useing just cedar? I use pine shavings and cedar and I use mostly pine with a little cedar mixed in.

4. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    Just ceader. [​IMG]

5. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    You really shouldn't.
    The cedar has an aromatic oil in it that will irritate their respiratory system.
    Just like it keeps away the moths....

6. Duramaxgirl

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 :

Just ceader. [​IMG]

oh well I wouldn't use just cedar but maybe you could purchase some pine shavings to mix in. I haven't ever had a problem with small amounts of cedar in my coop. Never had a respiratory problem useing it either. I usually use 3 bags of pine shavings to half to 1 bag of cedar shavings.​

7. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    My cooop is only like a 4 by 8 with the over hang. One bag filled it, and my playhouse brooder. [​IMG]

8. Duramaxgirl

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    I have 12x8 coops. But let us know how the cedar works out for you. [​IMG]

9. RattlesnakeRidgeWV

RattlesnakeRidgeWV Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Quote:oh well I wouldn't use just cedar but maybe you could purchase some pine shavings to mix in. I haven't ever had a problem with small amounts of cedar in my coop. Never had a respiratory problem useing it either. I usually use 3 bags of pine shavings to half to 1 bag of cedar shavings.

I mix 3 parts pine to 1 part cedar and have never had a problem. It smells better and apparently keeps bugs away. No problem with them either.

10. Quote:X2. I use a very small amount on the bottom and pine on top of that.

Using just 100% cedar...absolutely not. It will irritate their respiratory system causing a build up of mucus which will then get infected and usually causes pneumonia resulting in fatality.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by