Can I use Corid and Duramycin-10 within a week of each other?

fasschicks

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 10, 2013
South Central Wisconsin
We have 18 chicks that are 6 weeks old. On Tuesday morning, I think I found a small bit of blood in a poo I found on the floor of the coop. It was a little hard to see and was mixed in with the litter. I didn't want to chance anything, so I started Corid right away and will treat for 5 days.

For the past 2 weeks, I have had several chicks that have been sneezing and now a few more seem to be doing it. I thought maybe it was the aspen litter I was using, but I don't think it is. I have ordered some Duramycin-10 and hope to have that in a few days. I haven't found any chicks with nasal discharge or any puffyness on their face or eyes. It is just a little sneezing. They are very active and don't seem to be slowing down any. I planned to treat the kids with NutriDrench when they were finished with the Corid on Sunday to bump up any vitamin deficiency they might have from the Corid.

So, the big question.....Could I start treating the kids with the Duramycin-10 as soon as they are finished with the Corid or should I give them NutriDrench for several days first? I am just not sure how much of an overload this is on their little systems. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My first time having chicks, so not 100% sure how to treat this.

Wendy

I live out in the country and on a well. We do have a softener and think our water is somewhat hard. We did have a new well pump put in about a week ago and it was treated with Chlorine tablets. I have bought bottled water in the meantime because the water coming up looks gross. The Chlorine and the higher pressure is cleaning the pipes in the house. I was going to wait until the water was mostly clear before feeding to the chicks.

So, do you think I should start with the Duramycin-10 right after I finish with the Corid on Sunday? Or should I give a few days of the NutriDrench in between to help them recover a little? Or should I not worry about the NutriDrench at all? I am a step-by-step person when it comes to instructions.
smile.png

Last edited:
I live out in the country and on a well. We do have a softener and think our water is somewhat hard. We did have a new well pump put in about a week ago and it was treated with Chlorine tablets. I have bought bottled water in the meantime because the water coming up looks gross. The Chlorine and the higher pressure is cleaning the pipes in the house. I was going to wait until the water was mostly clear before feeding to the chicks.

So, do you think I should start with the Duramycin-10 right after I finish with the Corid on Sunday? Or should I give a few days of the NutriDrench in between to help them recover a little? Or should I not worry about the NutriDrench at all? I am a step-by-step person when it comes to instructions.
smile.png
I asked about the hard water because the Duramycin might bind with the calcium in the water, so it would be best to give them "softer" water with it. Same might be true with the Corid. Once done with the Corid, no need to wait, just start Duramycin. How much calcium is in Nutri-Drench? If none, you could give that orally while using Duramycin.

-Kathy

Thanks for asking that question. I didn't know that about the calcium. Below are the ingredients list from the NutriDrench. I am not sure if that is a lot of calcium or not.

Lysine (Min)

0.2%

Methionine (Min)

0.05%

Calcium (Min)

0.4%

Calcium (Max)

0.7%

Vitamin A (Min)

22,400 IU/fl oz

Vitamin D-3 (Min)

5,610 ICU/fl oz

Vitamin E (Min)

90 IU/fl oz​
INGREDIENTS: propylene glycol, molasses products, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, DL-methionine, l-lysine, Vitamin E supplement, Vitamin A supplement, Vitamin D-3 supplement, thiamine, niacin, zinc sulfate, ethylenediamine dihydroiodide, magnesium sulfate, manganese sulfate, iron sulfate, copper sulfate, sodium selenite, cobalt sulfate, sugar.

I don't know if it's a lot either, but I think some antibiotics, like tetracyclines, aren't supposed to be given with calcium at the same time because the will bind with each other.

-Kathy

I think I might give the NutriDrench for a day to just get something extra into their systems and then start them on the Duramycin-10 on Monday. Hopefully that will cure the sneezes.

Thanks, Kathy! I appreciate you taking time out of your day to give advise. It has been extremely helpful!

Back
Top Bottom