Can I use dry incubation for ducks?

Namble

Songster
10 Years
May 20, 2009
North Florida
Today is day 1 for the 12 ducks and 3 chicken eggs I have in the bator. The humidity has been very high (75%) because I added too much water. Is it too late to try dry incubation now? Could I just not add water for a couple days and let the humidity drop down to about 30-35% and keep it there until day 18?

Thanks a lot!

can u take some of the water out? Like via a fish tank tube and medicine syringe. I wouldn't recomend sucking it out.
big_smile.png

High humidity this early on really won't matter. Do you realize that you are going to have a staggered hatch? The ducks are going to take 28 days as opposed to the chickens 21. Easily do-able but something you are going to need to be aware of.
db

You also need to be careful when going from a high humidity to no humidity. If you think of a egg shell almost like skin, you can get what I mean. If the humidity gets to high the pores of the egg get filled with moisture. If you immediately take the humidity out, that moisture dries up and will actually make the membrane dryer and more susceptible to forcing a harder hatch on the chick. I would suggest to gradually bring the humidity down to the appropriate point, and to not go cold turkey on humidity right after having to much.
-Magnum

Back
Top Bottom