Can i use hardware cloth and then chicken wire higher up?

Ok chicken Fort Knox under way. We poured a concrete floor for the coup yesterday. Tomarrow the barn sheet metal goes up. We even put our rooster foot prints in the concrete. So there's no dought who rules the roost. I hope I have good luck with it. We have coons, hawks, coyotes and no shortage of large dogs that run the property. I've personally seen them all in action. It's like wild kingdom out here in the woods.

A raccoon will go through chicken wire like a hot knife through butter.

Any coop or run secured with chicken wire, that has not been breached, is most probably due to the racoons not finding it as yet.

When they do, you'll know.

If you are wanting a coop with building and run all in one so to speak then you will need to take extra measures to keep your chickens safe.

The walls and roof of the run need to be heavy gauge hardware cloth. The roof can be a sold surface as well. It needs to be secured to the lumber every 6 inches and I would use a bolt and washer system and not staples or nails. Coons and coyotes are strong.

The hardware cloth needs to be buried at least 18 inches down, I would probably go 2 feet.

Predators have a lot of time on their "hands" and will seek and look and test the run over and over and over again. Especially when such a huge reward is on the other side of the barrier.

They will obviously test the weakest points and in a coop in which the building and run need to be secure the gate will be the weakest point. So it needs to be secured that no predators can get its paws in and pry it open enough to get in and this area will also need to be dig proof.

I am presuming you are a newbie at raising chickens with only three posts. I've been raising chickens for over 40 years and when people ask me about raising chickens the first thing I start with is. "if you are not willing to spend the time and money to predator proof your coop then don't bother because you will not have chickens very long"

In my opinion the number one reason that people stop raising chickens is they loose chickens to predators because A. they don't build a secure coop or B. they do not lock up every night at dusk.

We all live very active life styles so if you or someone cannot be home at dusk to lock up invest in a automatic door. Best thing I've ever bought in 40 years as it relates to chickens.

Take five minutes and go over to the predator forum and just browse. Post after post after post after post of people losing chickens to predators.

Not trying to be hard on ya but just trying to keep you from investing time, money and emotion to just have it all end in one night.
Where were you many years ago when I first started with chickens?
goodpost.gif
Heck you don't even have to the predator page I have one for you. My first time. Raised chicks due to kids science project at school. Knew nothing and this was before computers, well before the internet anyway. I let them free range until we got the coop built. A week after locking them up in the coop windows covered with chicken wire, something broke in and ate all 8 of my chickens! What ever it was it happened at night and the chicken wire and staples didn't keep it out! Oh and it had to climb up to the window. Betting it was a coon. Point being if you value your flock listen to what scooter147 said in this post!

It sucks when it happens.
Most chicken eaters are nocturnal.
And if you live in an area with mink and weasels the coop needs to be like Fort Knox literally. Those buggers can fit through the smallest of holes.

There is a saying: chicken wire keeps chickens in and nothing out.

Starting the run today. We will get the framework done and wait for the hardware cloth to be shipped. Found 150' of 36" 1/2 inch hardware cloth for $164 on eBay with free shipping. Before I order it, is that a good price?

We moved into a 220 year old farmhouse with some very well entrenched mice, bats, raccoons, woodchuck and skunk. I have seen fox, coyote and maybe bobcat prints. We live on a large creek with a 50 foot waterfall, so probably have weasels too. There are several out buildings and I chose one to be the chicken coop. I have nailed boards over holes, used the heavy chicken wire with the little squares all around on the inside and am planning a run now. My question is about the wooden floor... do you think it is safe or willa predator chew thru?

Starting the run today. We will get the framework done and wait for the hardware cloth to be shipped. Found 150' of 36" 1/2 inch hardware cloth for $164 on eBay with free shipping. Before I order it, is that a good price?
I'm thinking you can get a better price from walmart.com ... go to their site and check it out. I sure saved a lot of $ by purchasing from them.

Back
Top Bottom