Can i use hardware cloth and then chicken wire higher up?

skylavaulter

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 8, 2014
I'm building a 6' tall run. We do have raccoons in the area. Is it possible to use hardware cloth for the lower three feet of the run and then chicken wire for the top three feet and roof? Or will the raccoons still be able to get through the chicken cloth three feet up? Thanks!

Raccoons can get the chicken wire higher up and they can dig underneath. Get yourself some traps and capture them or put an ad on Craigslist and you can get some hunters that will come out and trap the coons and take them with them to train their dogs Good luck

Since you know you have raccoons me personally? I wouldn't use anything less than 1/2" hardware cloth....EVERYWHERE. Raccoons are nimble climbers and they'll tear through that chicken wire like it was butter. I know the HC is more expensive at the onset, but well worth the price knowing your girls are safe .. and alive.

Thats true! I never thought about locking them in at night. Do you guys feel the same about the full length of the walls being hardware cloth and the roof chicken wire?

I've never seen a raccoon in my yard (skunks, yes) but neighbors have and I've also heard foxes at night somewhere within a 1/4 mile.

I've never seen a raccoon in my yard (skunks, yes) but neighbors have and I've also heard foxes at night somewhere within a 1/4 mile.
What it really boils down to @skylavaulter is this...it's not a matter of if predators will get your flock if it isn't predator-proof....it's when ... my coop and run are built like Ft. Knox..friends and family think I'm insane, but I love getting my thousand-dollar-eggs from them each day!!
gig.gif

If you are wanting a coop with building and run all in one so to speak then you will need to take extra measures to keep your chickens safe.

The walls and roof of the run need to be heavy gauge hardware cloth. The roof can be a sold surface as well. It needs to be secured to the lumber every 6 inches and I would use a bolt and washer system and not staples or nails. Coons and coyotes are strong.

The hardware cloth needs to be buried at least 18 inches down, I would probably go 2 feet.

Predators have a lot of time on their "hands" and will seek and look and test the run over and over and over again. Especially when such a huge reward is on the other side of the barrier.

They will obviously test the weakest points and in a coop in which the building and run need to be secure the gate will be the weakest point. So it needs to be secured that no predators can get its paws in and pry it open enough to get in and this area will also need to be dig proof.

I am presuming you are a newbie at raising chickens with only three posts. I've been raising chickens for over 40 years and when people ask me about raising chickens the first thing I start with is. "if you are not willing to spend the time and money to predator proof your coop then don't bother because you will not have chickens very long"

In my opinion the number one reason that people stop raising chickens is they loose chickens to predators because A. they don't build a secure coop or B. they do not lock up every night at dusk.

We all live very active life styles so if you or someone cannot be home at dusk to lock up invest in a automatic door. Best thing I've ever bought in 40 years as it relates to chickens.

Take five minutes and go over to the predator forum and just browse. Post after post after post after post of people losing chickens to predators.

Not trying to be hard on ya but just trying to keep you from investing time, money and emotion to just have it all end in one night.

Back
Top Bottom