Can I use ivermectin and safeguard?

Thank you. May I ask, if Safeguard is so safe, why do I need the dose to be so specific? I understand under dosing would cause resistant parasites and also may not kill the parasites they have, but it seems odd to me that I would need to be so specific down to the ounce. I have 72 chickens (and roosters), so to dose according to their specific weights would be impossible without weighing every single bird. Is there any other product I can use that I can put in the water or the food?
That's how dosing is done on all animal medications. It's always the number of milligrams per number of kilograms.

mg = milligram
kg = kilogram
ml = milliliter

Wordy Safeguard formula is:
The weight of the bird in pounds, divided by 2.2 (converts to kilograms) times the desired dose (in this case, it's 50 milligrams per kilogram, divided by the number of milligrams per one milliliter of the product (in this case, it's 100 milligrams per one milliliter.

Short version:
1 pound / 2.2 x 50 / 100 = 0.227 ml (for a one-pound bird, I would round up to 0.25 ml)
2 pounds / 2.2 x 50 / 100 = 0.454 (round up to 0.5 ml)
3 pounds / 2.2 x 50 / 100 = 0.681 (round up to 0.7 ml)
4 pounds / 2.2 x 50 / 100 = 0.909 (round down to 0.9 ml)
5 pounds / 2.2 x 50 / 100 = 1.136 (round up to 1.2 ml)

My peahens weigh about 6.6 pounds, and my peacocks weigh about 8.8 pounds.
Unless one feels unusually heavy or light, all hens get 2 ml, and all cocks get 3 ml.

Hope that helps.

Pumpkin seeds deworm chickens naturally. And chloride sodium dioxide drops in water will treat both parasites and worms internal.and external for future help if needed
It's what I do. And it works
well. Hope your flock mends and gets better!!
Thank you, I appreciate the suggestions and the well wishes!

Here‘s what I do - maybe you can scale it up for your birds. I measure the total amount for my birds (I use panacur horse paste, dose for chickens is 10X as high as the dose for horses by weight). I add about 1/3 to be sure the dose is high enough. Then I mix up their daily ration in pellets or mash, plus a bit extra - enough that they will all get what they want and not too much, so they almost finish it. I add a little oatmeal or milk to be sure they love it. I divide it up into bowls, one bowl for each 5 birds, and let them have at it. It has worked fine for me so far, much less stress and hassle. I figure different birds will eat diff amounts roughly according to their body weight.
Thank you, I really appreciate the suggestion!

That's how dosing is done on all animal medications. It's always the number of milligrams per number of kilograms.

mg = milligram
kg = kilogram
ml = milliliter

Wordy Safeguard formula is:
The weight of the bird in pounds, divided by 2.2 (converts to kilograms) times the desired dose (in this case, it's 50 milligrams per kilogram, divided by the number of milligrams per one milliliter of the product (in this case, it's 100 milligrams per one milliliter.

Short version:
1 pound / 2.2 x 50 / 100 = 0.227 ml (for a one-pound bird, I would round up to 0.25 ml)
2 pounds / 2.2 x 50 / 100 = 0.454 (round up to 0.5 ml)
3 pounds / 2.2 x 50 / 100 = 0.681 (round up to 0.7 ml)
4 pounds / 2.2 x 50 / 100 = 0.909 (round down to 0.9 ml)
5 pounds / 2.2 x 50 / 100 = 1.136 (round up to 1.2 ml)

My peahens weigh about 6.6 pounds, and my peacocks weigh about 8.8 pounds.
Unless one feels unusually heavy or light, all hens get 2 ml, and all cocks get 3 ml.

Hope that helps.
Thank you! I really appreciate the good breakdown!
I'm wondering if it might be easier to just put the dose in a piece of bread or something and dose each chicken that way? Versus squirting it in their mouths.
Also, is there no egg withdrawal for the 2 doses at 10 days apart, versus egg withdrawal if dosed for 3 days or 5 days in a row?

Thank you! I really appreciate the good breakdown!
I'm wondering if it might be easier to just put the dose in a piece of bread or something and dose each chicken that way? Versus squirting it in their mouths.
Also, is there no egg withdrawal for the 2 doses at 10 days apart, versus egg withdrawal if dosed for 3 days or 5 days in a row?
You're welcome!

If you want to egg the eggs, and you're sure they don't have capillary worms, do this:

Safeguard Mash - Zero Day Egg Withdrawal

Otherwise, it's two weeks withdrawal from the last treatment.

Definitely, you can give them each the dose in a favorite treat. I have encased bits of tums in raisins before, certainly the paste can be mushed on something. I don’t go that route because not all of my chickens like being handled and some are just too stressed when I hold or separate them to even eat a treat…

Definitely, you can give them each the dose in a favorite treat. I have encased bits of tums in raisins before, certainly the paste can be mushed on something. I don’t go that route because not all of my chickens like being handled and some are just too stressed when I hold or separate them to even eat a treat…
Nice! Thanks!

Thank you so much to everyone who's helped me, and given advice, suggestions, feedback and their knowledge! I appreciate you all so much! Thank you Eggcessive, Wyorp Rock, Coach723, Casportpony, Stephine, Goldenwahintofboss, and anyone else I may have missed! And thank you Backyardchickens for having this awesome place to have these conversations! Have a Wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year! 🙏

Back
Top Bottom