Can I use ivermectin and safeguard?

Krysthal109

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2023
Good evening, in two days i will go through my second round of treatment of ivermectin pour on for Mites and lice. But I have an issue. One of my girls has what I believe is Cecal worms (long, thin, and white worms), and I have some safeguard for horses on hand to treat my whole flock. Can I treat my flock with safeguard and ivermectin pour on at the same time? Is it safe?

Hi! I want to treat my chickens with ivermectin, safeguard and Corid to cover all my bases. I see U_Stormcrow says yes to Ivermectin and Safeguard together. Can I follow this up with Corid? Or Corid with them? Or Corid first? Thank you!
-Sara

What do you suspect is wrong—coccidiosis, worms? Ivermectin is said to have lost some effect against worms, due to past overuse for mite treatment. It has an egg withdrawal time. SafeGuard 10% will treat most chickens worms with a dosage of 0.25 ml per pound given orally for 5 consecutive days. To treat only roundworms, give it once and then again in 10 days. It has a 14 day egg withdrawal time. Corid only treats coccidiosis. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of water for 5 days.

Last edited:
Or could I treat with ivermectin and Corid and skip the safeguard altogether? And if I did, could I use them at the same time?

I agree with @Eggcessive , I would treat them with Safeguard. If it were coccidiosis I think you would have other symptoms by now. If they get sick with that, they get very sick, you would absolutely know by now if it was that. Ivermectin might not be effective if you have other internal parasites, it may be a waste of time and $$ and leave you retreating again with something else anyway.

In your previous thread, @coach723 really gave you a good explanation of intestinal shedding. She didn’t think that it sounded like coccidiosis. Many vets will perform a fecal float on fresh droppings, if you call them first to make sure. But worming may actually be less expensive.
Thank you for your reply!
Ok, I had decided not to give Corid since I believed it wasn't the issue. But then in other thread conversations someone mentioned treating them with Corid anyway for the reasons that: I've moved onto a new property, I have a bunch of odd poos (I just posted a bunch of pictures on my new thread, "Using Safeguard de-wormer for chickens, I need help" is the thread.), and they said it wouldn't hurt. I honestly don't have the means to do a fecal float test.
I used ivermectin for the first time ever back in August. Today I just found a yellow foamy poo with tiny worms in it. I couldn't get a picture of the worms, but I posted the picture of the poo.

I agree with @Eggcessive , I would treat them with Safeguard. If it were coccidiosis I think you would have other symptoms by now. If they get sick with that, they get very sick, you would absolutely know by now if it was that. Ivermectin might not be effective if you have other internal parasites, it may be a waste of time and $$ and leave you retreating again with something else anyway.
Hi! Thanks for your reply!
Ok, that's what I thought, but then I got confused again. I just wrote to Eggcessive explaining why, if you don't mind scrolling up to read it.

Back
Top Bottom