Can I use medication to put down a sick bird?

chickyboomboom

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
I'm coming to terms with the fact that my little white leghorn is not going to recover. We've been on antibiotics for a week and there's no change. Suspected internal layer.

We're not planning on processing her or using her for meat. We have them as pets with the added benefits of fresh eggs...

So I was wondering if there was any way to put the bird down using medication? I was thinking like maybe making her orally injest some tylenol, or codeine or something like that? We've never killed a chicken before and I don't think I can deal with the flapping afterward. Could I dose her and then when she is unconscious, snap her neck to make sure?

Has anyone done this, or something similar? Trying to put her down as painlessly for herself and us as well.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

I'm sry for you gonna have to lose ur chicken. But i would break its neck yea the body would flop around but its instant death body moving is just nerves. Or take her to the vet. Unless you have something to put her asleep then something to end her life.

Tylenol overdosing leads to liver failure, which is awful way to die that takes up to several weeks. And I doubt you'd have access to enough codeine that isn't mixed with Tylenol to cause enough bradypnea and bradycardia to result in death.

It is more more humane to do it fast, and that tends to be a more 'hands on' and messier way, such as cervical disloation.

I was thinking maybe vicodin smashed up and liquified... putting it in a syringe and then shooting it into her mouth. Then after she is asleep, snapping her neck. I just have no idea if this will work or how long it will take. I spent a lot of money on the vet last week so I can't really afford to have her euthanized.

I know how you feel, it's hard to do. But I tried some of the 'put to sleep' methods when I tried to put my leghorn down - C02, ether, none really worked all that well. I ended up just breaking her neck w/broomstick method. I had her between my calves so I could hold her when flapping. It was done in an instant and no blood. The other methods are too slow (other than chopping off the head and shooting, but I wasn't up for that). Did you watch that youtube on the broomstick way?

Don't have an answer. But I am so sorry you are going through this.
hugs.gif

i know it sucks but even if you put her to sleep sleep. After you break the neck she's still gonna move its just the nerves. Sometimes the hardest things we do are the best things we can do.
sad.png
Maybe find someone you know who'll do it for you.

Ok, I just watched the YouTube video on how to dispatch using the broomstick method. Is all that flapping just the nerves? For now my brother does all the "dispatching" if we have to cull our birds. He is a hunter and is used to the hands on dirty work. I want to know that, if for some reason I have to dispatch one of the girls, that I would be doing it in the most humane manner possible.
I'm familiar with the death process in many other farm animals, but it's bigger, non-winged animals.
hit.gif
So no flapping involved! And after taking a trip to a commercial chicken processor when I was younger, I KNOW that hanging them upside down and then slitting their throat isn't the kindest way to kill them. Not an instant death.

Back
Top Bottom