can I use newspaper?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dntd, Dec 7, 2009.

1. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    I'm just starting out with chickens and want to know if anyone uses newspaper shreds instead of pine shavings? Newspaper/other paper is cheap, we do plan on cleaning weekly even twice a week if needed. Right now I do every other day as they are in the basement. Can it be used in the winter?

2. chickeydee

chickeydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    I use all purpose sand and a little DE mixed in it . It works great and if you use a shifter you can recycle it ,but paper I do not know I would think the ink from them would be harmful . Smoeone on here might be more informed on it . .I can say that the sand has worked great for me .I did not care for shaving and 6.00 a bag or more and I would have to buy 4 for one 5x8 coopcompare to 2 bags of sand and recycke it .The poop goes into a compost pile .

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Most newspaper ink is now soy based. I am trying to find a way to shred it and use it easily since I have access to a bunch of newspaper.

4. chickeydee

Jul 9, 2009
    If you have access to the free papers and I say try it .We have thoese free papers called Thrifty Nickle, but I am concern abou the problems it would cause to the birds if they eat it or the ink gets on them .

5. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    I bought a paper shredder for $20 althogh it only does 5 sheets of paper at a time. You could get a more expensive one but I just wanted to trial it. We have other pets that could use paper shreds if the chickens couldn't.

6. Joz

Joz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    MidCity, New Orleans
    Newspapers (don't know about thrifty nickels or other small papers) are required to use soy-based inks since so many people use them as bedding in pet cages.

7. chickeydee

Jul 9, 2009
    It may be called amercian classic ,now .It is a nationwide paper .I know my vet will not use paper in the cages ,but will lay it underneath.so the animals will not mess with it . Paper gets wet fast to .

8. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I would think newspapers would be very messy and you wouldn't be able to fluff once they have been tromped and pooed on.

Just my opinion. [​IMG]

9. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    are we talking about chicks or full grown? Can I use shreded computer paper (with the ink on it) for chicks

10. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I think shredded paper would be fine for chicks. I used grass clippings, but mine arrived in early June, so they were free and easy to get. I liked grass clippings so well that I did them in my coop which is 8 x 16. It has worked well and I add to it all summer long. Smells so good to bring a bushel in and scatter it. Now is winter and no more grass clippings, but litter is 6" deep now and because we use a wide poop plank under roosts, we only will need to change litter once a year. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by