Can I use Pine Straw instead of pine shavings

jonbanks

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
does anyone know.......im new to this. Is it normal for my chicks to be scared of me? they run from me everytime i try to pick them up so i can clean there area. They seem kind of aggresive. I thought rhod island reds were docile. help me!!! lol

You need to spend more time with them. Sit with them and pick each up slowly. Don't rush around. Be calm. Talk to them, pet them, read to them, feed them treats in your hand. We started our young chicks on a spoonful of plain yogurt with active cultures - and we let them eat it off the spoon.

Soon they will associate you with the good things in life and will run towards you whenever they see you.

Most people don't use pine straw with chicklettes. However, once they are older it is fine.

Last edited:
oh thanks i saw the thing bout the pine needles i didnt read that fae, lol thanks

Yeah, spend some time with them. Move very, very slowly - always. I have 10 pullets right now so it may be fairly easy to do the percentages. Three of 'em (30%) would try to press themselves thru the wire like cheddar thru a grater if I so much as set foot in their pen. Three of them (30%) are always underfoot almost no matter what I'm doing - I'm the most fascinating creature imaginable to 'em. The other 4 (40%) are somewhere in between and mostly couldn't much care less about what I'm up to.

I've used pine straw often. It mats down so you'll need to change it frequently. However, the best of compost for your garden can be the result of all the raking and forking.

Steve

I use hay in my chicken coop. I clean it once a week and put down new hay. Works great. I just rake it up when I bush hog and store enough to last until I bush hog pastures again.

Insidenorthcorner.jpg

Quote:
Take a stool or milk crate, etc., and sit with them and have some treats handy. give them a treat and before you know it they will be in your lap. I have Rhode Island Reds.

Back
Top Bottom