Can I use Seven Dust for flies???

AlabamaChickenLady

Songster
9 Years
Jan 4, 2011
Oak Grove, Alabama
I have been noticing a bit of a fly problem, especially around the duck area. Can I use Seven Dust (5%) to sprinkle around the run area's to help with this problem? I want to use it in the chicken run, duck run, and under the rabbit hutch. My consern is that it will make them sick. Has anyone ever used this and will it harm the flock or the eggs? Can we still eat the eggs if I use the seven dust?

Any help would be great.
thumbsup.gif

yes, i think you should have posted this in the "managing your flock" section, or maybe the "predators and pests" section.

what kind of flies are you talking about? blowflies, maybe the little s*** flies with wings bigger than their bodies?

personally, i wouldn't want to put it in where the birds can get to it. if mine see white powder (powder in their feed), they go after it

Thanks Saltysteele. I move the post to "Managing your Flock."
wink.png

To answer you question, they look like ordinary black house flies. They have been making their way inside the house also. I use the seven dust on my garden, but I'm not sure about the run area's. Is there something else I can use? I went out and looked again, and there are a lot of them out there. I need to use something.
sickbyc.gif

Someone posted that the Vanilla pinetree airfresheners for cars work as good fly repellents.

i stand corrected about the seven dust.

i was just researching lice and mite treatment, and evidently seven dust poses no harm - people actually get the shaker cans and shake it onto the birds (5%); put it in a large plastic bag, put the bird in the bag with its head sticking out and dusting it that way; dusting their boxes/coop with 10% and runs; etc.

we have used it in the garden, but i wasn't aware it could be used to liberally on the birds. i'm surprised.

i'll do more research, though, before i actually use it. what the hen is sever, after all??
idunno.gif

I wouldn't use sevin dust for flies.

It IS toxic, but when you are dealing with mite infestations (which can kill chickens) it helps to use a chemical.

For flies, I would use something else. The fresh poo will attract flies, even though you might have just shaken something all over.

I like DE for my coop and I believe it helps to keep the flies away once I have removed the fresh piles of poo. I shake it (also I like sweet PDZ) all over the coop in tiny amounts.

With DE, wear a mask as it is fossil shell flour and you don't want to get it in your lungs.

Quote:
Ohhh, thank you Saltysteele!!!!
ya.gif

I was just about to look for DE online to purchase it. I thought I could use it, but just wanted to make sure before I did. The flies are pretty bad out there in the run area's. I will start spreading it around tonight and see if that helps.
fl.gif

I'll let you know in a few days if it actually cuts down onthe fly problem.
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom