Can i use shredded paper

I think NP is just to cheap not to use with freecylce and craigs list i'm sure I could find people that would save it to be recycled esspecially if you were to come pick it up, even if it dosn't do well by itself mixing a stack with a cube of pine horse bedding will cover a good sized walk in coop.

Well if the weather ever cooperates, I will be building my first coop. I have access to all the shredded paper and hardwood sawdust that I could possibly want. I was thinking of mixing the two as a litter material. The responses in this thread make me think that I am on the right track.

I have been using shredded paper for the last 30 days without any problem. I have access to a lot from my office. The little guys are not eating it. I also use it in the poop boxes under the roosts in the coop. The hens don't seem to mind pooping on it instead of other bedding. Since I am in Louisiana, keeping the chickens warm is not an issue.

I keep my chickens in a detached garage in the winter...I have a paper shredder in there and a wet dry vac nearby the coop. Very convenient and no problems.

Quote:
I use tons (not literaly) of shredded paper for the deep litter method in the roost house, it is less smelly and is asorbant, add more shredded paper to the litter as it accumulates. Only have to clean out the roost house 2 times a year using this method, the birds keep it scratched up, so scooping it out and putting it in the compost pile is not too much work, it decomposes pretty fast.
BTW, we have an average or 30 to 40 chickens that use the roost house. Have been using this method for several years. But you need a good 6 inches or so on the floor to make it work good, so if you have access to lots of shredded paper this works great. Have not been mixing it with anything else.

Last edited:
I've tried shredded paper and have also mixed it with pine pellets and/or straw and/or dried leaves. The one disadvantage of the paper in a suburban or urban area is that it tends to fly around a lot more than the other bedding and so it can create litter for your neighbours.

Thank you for all for this very good information! Getting my coop in 2 weeks! Very excited!!
thumbsup.gif
The plan was to get chicks in the spring but getting a small flock sooner than I expected. All plans pushed ahead by 7 months.

Thank you guys so much for all of the great info about using shredded paper and mixing it with my shavings! :)

Last edited:
I do not think it would be a good staple source of bedding personallyt.

I think it might be alright if it were shredded and mixed in with pine shavings or in my case wood pellets in some proportion.

I would try a shredded mixture.
What do you have to loose?

Worst case is I will never try that again is what I am thinking.

As far as chickens ripping the newspaper; an elevated false floor made of a wire grid 3½" above the newspaper to allow the poop through might be effective.

Bedding
I have used all types of litter for coops.

I have not tried sand (sand gets good reviews on this site).
My floor are planks with a layer of tin for rodent proofing. On top of the tin I have a piece of vinyl flooring cut one foot longer than the length and width of my coop (roughly). Six inches squares are cut out of the 4 corners of the vinyl flooring. This allows the friction fitted flooring to travel up the walls six inches around the perimeter of my 4x8 salvaged metal coop. Shovel out the heavy stuff into a wheel barrow. Pop out the vinyl flooring hose it off pop it back in.
Easy Peasy!

Of all the things I tried to date wood pellets have been the best. (I tried wood pellets as a last resort when pine shavings were not available.) They are super absorbent and swell up and eventually turn to saw dust. The droppings just seem to vanish and turn to dust when it comes in contact with wood pellets .

Replace my litter and clean my coop every October after I harvest my garden.

Back
Top Bottom