Can i use shredded paper

I'm glad this post is here! I have a bag full of shredded paper from work and I'm going to mix it with the pine shavings that are already in their coop and see how I like it. We don't have a lot of shredded paper at work, but I could bring a garbage bag full home once a month. If it helps offset the cost of pine chips a bit, or makes their bedding last a bit longer, it'll be worth it. I'm saving up for a large chicken coop (or an old shed to use as one) so anything helps while I save up to spend a bunch on my ladies' new home. The coop only holds 6, and my 9 chicks just graduated to the coop with the 5 older ladies. They'll be pleased with a new, larger coop.

I use pine shavings on the floor, minimum 6 inches. I add as necessary, and clean it out once per year. Ihave use shredded paper in the nesting boxes exclusively. Works very well for me. The eggs come out clean, worst possible situation, I peel some paper off them. Birds do eat the paper. It doesn't seem to affect them tho. I replace a handful or two once a month or so.

I used shredded paper for several months a couple of years ago. I liked that it was free but it gets very soggy as soon as it touches any water at all. I also found that nest boxes with shred in them don't really keep the eggs clean. I have never tried it with another bedding mixed in (shavings, straw, chopped straw etc) which might make it better

Here's my update on this. I dumped one garbage bag full of tiny-shredded paper into the nesting boxes (4). The next day, two chickens had laid their eggs on the pine chips on the coop floor, probably because they had no clue what the paper was all about. I put those eggs into the nesting boxes, and the other hens laid just fine. The eggs look very clean and nice, though we have one jerk-chicken who likes to roost on the side of one box and poop into it which dirties the eggs laid in that box, but that's not related to the paper.

A few days later, the first chicken of the day to lay once again laid on the floor of the coop. I moved her egg into the nesting box and left it there for the day, and the others followed suit and laid in the nesting box. So there might be a bit of a training curve, and a dummy egg wouldn't hurt. That's my experience with it.

Haven't tried shoveling it out of the boxes to change it yet, so I may hate it when it's time for that, but we will see.

Last edited:
A better solution than just using shredded paper is to make actual bedding with it. You just need the paper, water, screen, and some hands, but a drill with a paint mixing bit will speed things up significantly. http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Cat-Litter-in-Home

Worth a try. I make this all the time for my other pets and it's wonderful. It does take some effort to make and time to dry, but maybe the chickens will like it more than just the flat paper which compacts down and doesn't work well?

I was desperate and had to use my rabbits all natural shredded paper bedding and my one chicken Lucia tried eating some so I got nervous but I'm desperate and it's 30 degrees outside so it will have to do for the next few days till I can buy more hay other Wednesday or Thursday I'm just worried she could become ill from trying to eat it even though it's all natural

I would love some advice

Thanks
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png

~ Briann

I have lined my nesting boxes with shredded junk mail for years.

Yes, they eat some, perhaps a lot...

They eat a lot of worse things...

Never an issue.

I do not shred glossy or metallic inked colored paper.

I tried it and the chickens are just eating every time I check on them.... I won't be using again. FYI I use deep litter method so I figured the paper would just add to compost but alas, no.

Back
Top Bottom