1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I use this as a tractor/coop for 2 chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by eggsontoast, Dec 10, 2010.

1. eggsontoast

eggsontoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    North Atlanta suburbs
    I would cover part of the roof, add a perch and a small nesting box. I would also add hardware cloth all the way around to reinforce it, then park it at night on top of a piece of hardware cloth on the ground to protect from diggers. Do you think it's "sufficient"? I'd like a coop but have no carpentry skills nor tools. Hopefully, a handy friend will be able to turn our under-used playset into a coop, but until then....
    [​IMG]

2. Sure you could. I would ultimately not want my chickens in that all the time. I would use it more for a temporary structure till I was able to supply them with something bigger. Each bird really needs at least 10 sf a piece of grazing area.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I would think you'd need to cover all of the roof, and overlap even, as that small of a pen would not allow them a place to escape blowing rain. And I would definitely want something quite a bit bigger by the time they were 12 weeks or so, as even the largest (other than dane size) dog pens I know of are only about 8 sq. feet, and as was already mentioned, you want to have close to 10 sq. ft EACH of run/grazing room for standard chickens. Now if you were talking a really small sized bantam breed, it would be more doable.

4. TheGardenCoop

TheGardenCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Maybe add plywood on a couple sides to close in a corner, some place the hens can retreat to and feel safer if predators come around.

5. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    Is that 4x6? Looks like it might be. If it is, then it could work for a couple chickens. However you will see pretty quick that they will want a bigger run. Any chance they can free range the yard?
    You could convert it to a coop pretty easily by adding some weather protection. I would imagine that down in Florida they would really only sleep and lay eggs in the coop so you can probably get away with a smallish coop.

If it is only 2x3 then it would be too small except for temporary use a few hours a day or as a coop with attached run.

6. LeeLeesFarm

LeeLeesFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    So. California
    I used this exact crate for my bantams when they first arrived and for about 2 months of their growth. I tarped the sides and roof to protect them from the sun beating on them all day. I found mine on Craigslist for $50. Is my memory correct, in that if you found another used crate, you could drop down one wall on each crate and hook the two crates together, thereby enlarging the place for them? Then there would be better room for them AND the food AND the water AND the nest? Just a thought.

Lee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by