1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can i wash the egg with water before keep in incubator?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ufone, Jan 20, 2016.

1. ufone

ufone New Egg

Jan 20, 2016
    Can i wash the egg with water before keep in incubator? Any nagtive or positive effects on eggs. Some people says, if eggs wash/clean with water. eggs will not dirty...thanks

2. Kroelies

Kroelies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2015
    Netherlands
    Don't wash the eggs. There is a thin layer of oil on the eggs that protects them. Some dirt on the eggs won't be a problem.

3. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    unless the egg is completely saturated in mud you shouldnt take anything off of it, if it is just a blob of mud take a dry paper towel and gently take off some of the mud around the air cell end .

4. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    I use a facial brush and warm water to clean eggs before incubating them. It is no more than a hen would do getting on the nest after bathing. You do not want to scrub into the natural bloom on the egg so stains are fine. Tne facial brush I use is very soft and I buy replacememts often since they are only a dollar at tne Dollar Tree.

5. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    I've purchased shipped eggs twice and the hatch rate was 1/12 and then 2/12. I later found out she washes her eggs. I know shipped rates are lower anyway but can't help wondering if the washing made it worse.

6. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    ignore me, hadn't realised this was under ducks. Duh

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by