Can I water glass 2 or 3 week old eggs?

KatGold

Songster
12 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Darn it! I have been collecting my clean eggs to water glass for 2 or 3 weeks (I'm not exactly sure). I now have enough, but it seems that I should only water glass week old eggs.

How firm is that 1 week rule? They are clean, unwashed, unrefridgerated.

Thanks!

Darn it! I have been collecting my clean eggs to water glass for 2 or 3 weeks (I'm not exactly sure). I now have enough, but it seems that I should only water glass week old eggs.

Thanks!
Don't do it.. eggs age *about* 7 times faster at room temp then in the fridge. So despite not being "rotten" they've already lost a huge amount of quality.. yolks will already be popping easily, whites will already be thin.. what is your room temp anyways?

Consider using those eggs up.. and water glass AS you collect.. putting the new eggs on the bottom.

FWIW.. refrigeration is awesome! (if you have access to it) Clean, unwashed eggs have lasted 6 months in the fridge.. they may not "whip up" well after that time.. but they still eat well! First in first out regardless of method. :thumbsup

Thanks!

Don't do it.. eggs age *about* 7 times faster at room temp then in the fridge. So despite not being "rotten" they've already lost a huge amount of quality.. yolks will already be popping easily, whites will already be thin.. what is your room temp anyways?

Consider using those eggs up.. and water glass AS you collect.. putting the new eggs on the bottom.

FWIW.. refrigeration is awesome! (if you have access to it) Clean, unwashed eggs have lasted 6 months in the fridge.. they may not "whip up" well after that time.. but they still eat well! First in first out regardless of method. :thumbsup
I second this. Water glass as you collect, don't gather a pile then water glass. If you don't get enough, put them in a smaller container to water glass. I have two 2 gallon containers and they filled up very fast with five laying hens. Still have about a quarter of the eggs left

Oh no! What a bummer!

I've been keeping them in my VERY HOT office. Room temp is pretty darn high.

Okay, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom