Can i worm chickens with safeguard pellets?

Birdielee

Songster
Apr 8, 2020
North Plainfield, NJ USA
I have safeguard pellets i bought for my rabbit. I give him 3 pellets, for 3 days in a row. Then repeat, i think a week later. I do that every 3 or 4 months, when i start seeing worms in his poop.

I got 2 new hens and a roo. The hens have diarrhea. Hen#2, especially. And the poop stinks. BAD. Can I use the pellets to worm them? I can add water to soften it.

I'll get the info off the bag to tell you the strength. Does this sound feasible?

I was hoping a good diet would resolve the issue, but it's a week now, and my yard is disgusting. (I have them in a tractor during the day while they're in quarantine. I keep moving them to a clean spot but the diarrhea continues.)

I'm going to say that I would not, but I like to know my birds are dosed correctly. It seems like a very inaccurate way to do it, but I did find this thread with info on using it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/deworming-with-safeguard-pellets.1176002/#post-18518639
There is a turkey dosing calculator in post #6 which says for this product you would add 1 lb of the pellets to 313 lbs of feed and feed that as the sole ration for 6 days straight.
I really don't like wormers mixed in feed since it's dependent on them eating enough to get treated. If you do it this way I would make it into a mash by mixing with water, so that they cannot pick out or avoid the pellets. I personally would just buy the liquid or paste and dose directly.

It's labeled for turkeys, too. .5%
2.27 grams per pound.

Oh, there's actually a dosage calculator on the internet. The web address is on the bag. Www.marsyt.com. code # 9562

Attachments

• 15911119165475598637825197702062.jpg
    15911119165475598637825197702062.jpg
    492.2 KB · Views: 65
I'm going to say that I would not, but I like to know my birds are dosed correctly. It seems like a very inaccurate way to do it, but I did find this thread with info on using it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/deworming-with-safeguard-pellets.1176002/#post-18518639
There is a turkey dosing calculator in post #6 which says for this product you would add 1 lb of the pellets to 313 lbs of feed and feed that as the sole ration for 6 days straight.
I really don't like wormers mixed in feed since it's dependent on them eating enough to get treated. If you do it this way I would make it into a mash by mixing with water, so that they cannot pick out or avoid the pellets. I personally would just buy the liquid or paste and dose directly.
Ok. Yeah, that dosing recommendation is straight off the bag. But the numbers are astronomical for my purposes. Also, somewhat inexplicable, the bag is 1.1 lbs and they give instructions for mixing 1 lb.

Most common ones are Safeguard liquid goat wormer, about $25-$30 depending on where you get it, and Valbazen, about $45 (premier1supplies.com). The bottles will last quite a while.
Most recommendations for egg withdrawl are 14 days following dose, and depending on what worm you are targeting and which med you use you will either dose 5 days in a row (safeguard for gape or capillary worms), or two doses 10 days apart (safeguard for roundworm, valbazen for most common worms).
There is a method for doing safeguard and having no egg withdrawl, I've never done it this way, but here is the thread that tells how it's done.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/safeguard-mash-zero-day-egg-withdrawal.1254653/

You also can use the SaeGuard horse wormer which most feed stores sell for about $12-15. Dosage is the same as the Liquid Goat Wormer., 0.23 ml (1/4 ml) per pound of weight given orally once and again in 10 days for roundworms and cecal worms. Or give it for 5 consecutive days for most all worms, including capillary and gapeworm. Be sure to get a syringe to measure it.

Back
Top Bottom