Can layers eat grower crumbles?

kmdsparrow

Chirping
12 Years
May 10, 2010
I have 6 laying hens and three 3 month olds. They are now relatively happily living together but I'm not sure how to keep their food separate. I had run out of grower crumbles and they were eating the layer food for a little while and now I've run out of the layer feed and wonder if they all can eat the crumbles? I have oyster shells but how do I keep the younger ones away from it? I can buy the layer feed, but just am not sure how to feed them separately when they are living together.

I mix my layer pellets with flock raiser or starter crumbles if it is a mixed flock, or when they are moulting and need extra protein. They seem to lay more, and bigger eggs if I keep feeding them like that.

The short answer is "No problem." There are some that feed grower or flock raiser plus oyster shell instead of layer, especially if they're keeping roosters they want for breeding.

The extra calcium in layer can cause bone problems or kidney problems in growing chickens. They can handle the extra calcium better after they are grown. I never mix layer and grower or have any layer in the coop or run when I have young chicks. I've seen a mama hen take layer out of a feeder the young chicks can't reach and feed it to them.

Like many of the others, I feed grower to the entire flock with oyster shell offered on the side. The young may occasionally peck at the oyster shell, but they should not eat enough to hurt themselves.

Back
Top Bottom