Can male ducklings honk?

anasanus

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2021
I know that when a duckling starts to honk, it means it’s female, but is that always the case?
My 3 week old female mallard looks to be growing that green sheen to her head like the males have, but I could be wrong.

Could I see a picture? I don't know a lot about telling a gender of a duck but I will try! I know that when ducklings start to quack females tend to be louder and quack a LOT but males have raspy quacks and don't honk as often.

I’m not so sure if I’ll be able to capture it on camera. It’s difficult to see and I’m barely able to see it myself. The lighting has to be just right, sorry.. but thank you!

Though has there been any instance where a duckling started to honk but turned out to be a male?

Has anybody ever heard of a blue swedish female duckling whistling? Mine is 2 weeks old and does a woop type whistle to call me.

The whistle is normal - it will change fairly quickly into either a rasp or a quack. It normally takes about 2-3 weeks once their voices start changing to quit going "proto-quack."
Yes - I've had a male that started out with a honk here or there. It was never a true quack quack quack but more of an occasional hickhonk... took a little longer than normal for his voice to settle but still by 9 weeks he was all drake and no more strange sounds.
At 3 weeks old it's still a little early to try to stuff them into one category or another. I've also see females with a slight green or blue tinge, it just isn't as pronounced as the males.
Hang in there 2-3 more weeks and you will have no doubt what gender it is.

Back
Top Bottom