Can males be kept together?

Feb 17, 2021
Can I keep all my "extra" males together (without females) without them killing each other? They aren't old enough to process yet but they need to not be in my other cages.

Make sure bachelor pad is out of sight/smell of hens. Still, I don't think males have very happy lives this way. They're wired to breed. I kept one set for about 17 weeks before "doing the deed." To me, this is the part of raising quail that categorizes it as difficult.
Unfortunately that's the end they are all destined for.... I was just hoping to get them full grown before processing them. Sadly, about 70% of this hatch was male 😢 and will need to go. I put them all in my garage while my hens are all outside in cages on the far end of the yard. Do you think that will be far enough?

Yeah, garage walls should keep the sound/sight of hens far enough away. My males without supplemental light stopped crowing already, maybe yours will soon.

How old are you planning to keep them? Last year I kept a peaceful group of males born in October till 12 weeks. Perfect behavior, no noise.

Yeah, garage walls should keep the sound/sight of hens far enough away. My males without supplemental light stopped crowing already, maybe yours will soon.

How old are you planning to keep them? Last year I kept a peaceful group of males born in October till 12 weeks. Perfect behavior, no noise.

Just until they are 8-10 weeks. So really only 2-3 more weeks.

Ive raised lots of roosters together with no females no problem, its usually when I seperate them then re introduce them then they are more likely to be aggressive. Also some birds are just moee aggressive than others, so while my ameraucana rooster might not fight, my dominique bantam roosters might scrap til the death. Just keep an eye on them and you should/probably will be fine 🤞👍

Unfortunately that's the end they are all destined for.... I was just hoping to get them full grown before processing them. Sadly, about 70% of this hatch was male 😢 and will need to go. I put them all in my garage while my hens are all outside in cages on the far end of the yard. Do you think that will be far enough?
70% males sounds like a hatch I'd have. I don't have quail, but I love learning about all of the birds covered on BYC. I wish you the best with growing them out 😍

Back
Top Bottom