Can more than 2 roosters peacefully live together?

horsecrazy

Songster
11 Years
Sep 26, 2008
central CA
I want to get a roo of each type along with the pullets from Murray I am going to order in February.

my question is, can 3 or more roos peacefully amonst themselves? I don't want to go through the hassle of seperating them. I thnk they are lonely when by themselves anyway.

I have up to 3 roos in a pen with my girls but they have plenty of space and each have a good number of hens of their own. They occasionally have mild squabbles but never anything drastic. I would not suggest more than 3 though.

It depends on the number of hens you have for them to share. The suggestion is usually about 10 hens per each rooster to keep the roosters satisfied and um, busy
wink.png
with their own harem. Too few hens and the roosters will constantly fight over all of them.

When one rooster crows, the other roosters usually join in, and they can go on for quite a long time crowing with one another. You may end up with a lot of crowing. If that's something you don't want, you may want to have less roosters.

Personally, though, I like the roosters more than the hens because they have personality. I'd want several roosters, myself.

We have about 100 free ranging chickens and 9 roosters. They don't fight. They ocassionally get in very short tussles over food but nothing serious. The hens will get in tussles over food too! They all roost in the same coop at night. No issues. They are all different breeds too. Spitzhaben, RIR, creme brabanter, white leghorn, Thai, cochin, barred rock, and a couple of barnyard mixes.

I have a few flocks in each flock there are 2 roosters. The flock outside has 6 hens with 2 roos, the alpha roo keeps the other roo in line but he doesn't seem to mind and they live peacefully for now. In my garage i have another flock, 2 serama roos and 6 hens they also get along great. the serama roosters have been together from day 1 and never had a problem, they are 6 months old now. I also free range my chickens so i think that makes a huge difference as far as getting along goes.

Last edited:
ok, I've got 11 girls now, and if I order about 20 more from murray, than that means 3 roos. goodie!
Is 4 pushing it? chicken lady, I am with you I love the roo's personality. For a few years we had this ancient white rooster and he was very sweet. He wouldn't let us catch him but he was very polite with the ladies and only crowed once a day.

I have 21 hens and 2 roosters. The roos occasionally get into a little tiff when the little one challenges the alpha, but it doesn't happen often and it hasn't escalated into anything serious at all so far. The alpha roo will dominate the lesser one though, but he's not really mean to him.

Get your roos!

Penny

I have 11 hens and 2 roosters. They established who was the boss and that was that. The smaller of the 2 backs down every time and I haven't had any serious fights!

I also think it has to do with the particular rooster. Some are just more feisty than others. I have one that wants to be a fighter and the other is a lover not a fighter (although he showed who was boss and he won!)

Ok I am sure to catch some flack for this.
I have 5 roo (1 @ 15 weeks) that are about 24 weeks old with 20 hens/pullets and I have not had a problem yet.

They have been like this for months. We get a sqawable her and there but nothing that has been a major issue.

However they free range all day.

Back
Top Bottom