Can a standard rooster live with bantam hens (without injury?)

booksandcranies

In the Brooder
Oct 27, 2023
Hello!

This is my first time posting here, so sorry if I mess anything up!

Anywho, I bought 6 chickens from Meyer hatchery, one of the hatches didn’t go well so instead of a refund they gave me a standard Easter egger chick that was supposed to be female so it would mesh well with everyone else. But I think it’s a roo 😅 I’m sending Meyer hatchery some pictures in a few weeks to confirm that it’s a roo

I’m worried about my girls if I’m being honest, I love the rooster (it’s my favorite out of the bunch) but I only have five hens, all of them bantams- one of them being a silky Who is pretty small, and the size difference will not huge, does have me worried for my flock. Is it possible for them to live together peacefully without the rooster over mounting/hurting them when mounting?

Should I rehome the rooster for the safety of everyone else or just add one or two standard chickens to the group to keep the heat off the little ones?

I would love advice from people who have been in this situation, or anyone really, thank you!

Welcome to BYC!
I have a bantam Sebright hen living in a standard flock, the rooster being a Spitzhauben. There has been no problem with the rooster mating with this hen, and she is just fine, and we have her chicks to prove it. They are half Sebright, half Spitzhauben, I call them Sprights.
In this pic, our tiny Sebright in the right foreground, then 2 of her Spright daughters, a Spitz hen, and the Spitz rooster.
IMG_1984.jpeg

:welcome A large rooster with only bantam hens can be problematic. Can you post a picture of the bird in question?
Yes! I hope I did this correctly! They are all only 11 weeks old so still settling into themselves, but it’s the big white one in front. I didn’t know if maybe getting a few standard girls would help take the heat off or if it’s still iffy

Attachments

• 0502BBEC-D598-474A-AC09-B8547EA0D5E3.jpeg
    0502BBEC-D598-474A-AC09-B8547EA0D5E3.jpeg
    483.4 KB · Views: 18
Welcome to BYC!
I have a bantam Sebright hen living in a standard flock, the rooster being a Spitzhauben. There has been no problem with the rooster mating with this hen, and she is just fine, and we have her chicks to prove it. They are half Sebright, half Spitzhauben, I call them Sprights.
In this pic, our tiny Sebright in the right foreground, then 2 of her Spright daughters, a Spitz hen, and the Spitz rooster.
View attachment 3669804
Wow!! They are all beautiful!! It’s really good to hear that you’ve not had any issues, if rehoming my roo can be avoided I would prefer that as he’s just such a nice boy! (If it is a boy lol) I defiantly want to give it a shot before I decide anything permanent. I’m thinking of just getting another hen that’s more of a standard size to just take the heat off the little ones

I've had a standard rooster with Bantam hens, with no problems.
Did you only have bantam hens? That’s what I’m worried about- the fact there aren’t any standard girls along with my banties, I keep going back and forth on what I should do. For every person who says it worked for them I get another who said it went horribly, talk about a rock and a hard place lol. Maybe I’ll get lucky and it’s just a super butch hen

Did you only have bantam hens? That’s what I’m worried about- the fact there aren’t any standard girls along with my banties, I keep going back and forth on what I should do. For every person who says it worked for them I get another who said it went horribly, talk about a rock and a hard place lol. Maybe I’ll get lucky and it’s just a super butch hen
I had 2 Bantams, & about 4 large hens with a large Buff Orpington rooster years ago. Seen him breeding the Bantams without harming them.

Back
Top Bottom