1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can my babies go outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zimmy, Apr 24, 2007.

1. zimmy

zimmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Orlando
    It's a warm, summery day, I think in the mid-eighties. Feels around the same as the inside of the brooder... My three babies are almost 2 weeks old (are they BIG or what?!), and I was wondering if I'd be killing them to lay down a towel outside (if they feel like sitting on a towel [​IMG] ) and let them explore a little. They don't get to do that too much in the house... Mom's a little nuts over the poopie...

And none of the cats are out right now!

So, would it bad bad to bring them outside this early?

2. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    I would not do it but if you really want to you can put them in a small circular pen with you baby sitting them for an hour. But for me they just don't need to be outside without their clothes on... ie: feathers. Lol

Does that help?

Arklady

3. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    I took mine out and they loved it!! Just make sure they are well protected and supervise them!! I used a small piece of chicken wire and made a small circle with it and put them in! It was neat!! I also put their water in too!

4. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

When my chicks were about two and a half weeks old I took them out in a "playpen" for a little while, and they really loved it. I would suggest only taking them out when it is:

-warm
    -not windy or wet
    -protected (in a pen/fence of some kind -they can scatter and run fast!)

Also, don't over-do it and leave them out for a long time. But if you have a half hour to spend on the grass with them, you both will really enjoy it. And be sure to leave their brooder light/heat on so it will still be warm when you bring them back in.

Be safe and have fun! [​IMG]

5. zimmy

zimmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Orlando
    Thanks guys :3 Don't worry, I can't overdo it. And I don't think I'll have any problems with them scattering-they usually all group together (usually by me, yay!) when they go somewhere new. It's kind of cute, actually.

There's not a bad cloud in the sky, it's not windy, and it's definately warm enough [​IMG]

Okay, I'll figure something out for a little pen. I'm off to visit thee -trumpets blare- OUTDOORS!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by