Can my chicken eat too much?

Hawaiianhunnie

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2017
i just got a rooster yesterday and I'm newer to chickens, all my hens have no problem free feeding and foraging for food. Well I put 1/2 cup a food in the drop pen in a where I'm keeping the rooster while he adjust and he ate everything! In one sitting! His crop is so big, is it possible for them to over stuff themselves? I witheld food this morning figuring I'd give him time to digest what he had and I'd give him a smaller portion tonigh after work but his crop look even fuller then it was yesterday! Im assuming he ate whatever food he could find on the ground in the pen from the very last chicken I was intergrating. What should I do? I dont want him to blow up, because literally I feel like he will eat until he does.

i just got a rooster yesterday and I'm newer to chickens, all my hens have no problem free feeding and foraging for food. Well I put 1/2 cup a food in the drop pen in a where I'm keeping the rooster while he adjust and he ate everything! In one sitting! His crop is so big, is it possible for them to over stuff themselves? I witheld food this morning figuring I'd give him time to digest what he had and I'd give him a smaller portion tonigh after work but his crop look even fuller then it was yesterday! Im assuming he ate whatever food he could find on the ground in the pen from the very last chicken I was intergrating. What should I do? I dont want him to blow up, because literally I feel like he will eat until he does.
1/2 cup of food for a large rooster is no problem. Measure out 1/3 a lb and that is what a rooster will eat easily. Chickens will not over eat. He should be able to go into his coop at night by himself.

Back
Top Bottom