Can my chickens get infected with human influenza (H3N2 or H1N1)?

Henfla

Songster
Apr 29, 2022
Tromsø, Norway
So I have tested positive for influenza today and I have been ill since tuesday (I am much worse today, so before today I thought it was the common cold). Yesterday I had the rooster inside for a bit because he was very loud for very long, and I had him on my lap for a bit to calm him. So now I am very worried, but when I google I only find results about avian flu from birds to humans and not the other way around. I am assuming it is not a very big problem since I can't find much information? The chickens are looking healthy for now.

Glad you brought up the question. I wondered if my chickens could catch flu from us but since we've had chickens for 13 years and have been sick several times (even w/ COVID) none of our hens (we have no roo's) so far ever got sick from us.

But, mosquito bites carrying fowl pox virus have infected our hens! One good thing about fowl pox is to catch and treat the symptoms early and the hen never contracts it again (natural vaccination says our vet!).

Glad you brought up the question. I wondered if my chickens could catch flu from us but since we've had chickens for 13 years and have been sick several times (even w/ COVID) none of our hens (we have no roo's) so far ever got sick from us.

But, mosquito bites carrying fowl pox virus have infected our hens! One good thing about fowl pox is to catch and treat the symptoms early and the hen never contracts it again (natural vaccination says our vet!).
Thanks alot! Fingers crossed they don't get ill.

If those are type A flus(Avian), then yes. I've actually passed a flu to a hen last year. Ended up putting her down.
From what I understand, avian flu is a type of influenza A (H5 and H7), so H1N1 and H3N2 are not avian influenza. H1N1 is swine influenza

What was her symptoms, and did the other chickens get ill?

From what I understand, avian flu is a type of influenza A (H5 and H7), so H1N1 and H3N2 are not avian influenza. H1N1 is swine influenza

What was her symptoms, and did the other chickens get ill?
She had loud noisy breathing, & turned purple/blue from lack of oxygen.

I had a type A flu that I was just getting over it, but still contagious. I had fever, aches, pains, & bad chest congestion.

Other chickens didn't catch it thank goodness.
Screenshot_20240314-175815_Chrome.jpg

This world is going to h*ll-in-a-hand-basket w/ all these human/animal pestilences! I had Covid when we picked up two new Silkie chicks in Dec 2020 and Covid wasn't any worse than any other flu's I've had including Asiatic Flu when I was a kid, then Swine Flu, plus all the subsequent flu strains to hit me in 80 years. So far haven't lost any livestock as a result but then maybe just pure luck.

Getting a test for flu identification sounds like a wise idea these days with so many new virus strains developing!!! My DH gets a Covid test as a requirement at his job any time he starts to sniffle. Since billions of chickens world-wide are outnumbering earth's population guess we can't be too careful?!

In 2020 Covid targeted the elderly or those with pre-existing health issues but a new strain is said to target young children next. What the h*ck is going on? I remember the old days when my Mom said whooping cough/dyphtheria almost killed my baby sister in 1934 but the little thing survived and sis'll be 90 this year. Seems like there's always going to be some kind of malady to scare the world.

Back
Top Bottom