Can my hens be "OVER-SEXED"?

A few weeks ago I was starting to wonder myself. I had two cockerels and 10 pullets (only 2~3 were actively being mated), but the one fellow was pretty rough and the girls didn't really seem to dig him much. He was dominant though. He'd been on double secret probation for a couple weeks and we'd decided he probably needed to go. He made it easy when he tried to flog my little girl though. He made a tasty Paprikash. His little brother is a big sissy, but the girls don't seem nearly as "over worked". They tend to let him do his thing and move on. There's not nearly as much squawking and commotion now.

yes Ive heard it can be very rough.
D.gif

This has got to be my least favorite part of raising chickens...we've had some AWESOME roosters that we couldn't keep for fear of them fighting with each other, abusing the girls, or the obvious reason of making too much noise. Deciding which ones to keep and let go isn't easy, but is necessary for a balanced flock.

OK now I have to ask. My chickens are about 18 weeks. 4 out of 5 girls are laying, only for 1 to two weeks, but still. They all squat for me, I don't see them do it for the rooster when I'm around, and I have never seen him try to mount any of them. The rooster IS a rooster, he's big and pretty and crows. He has gotten more and more shy he used to come and take his share of treats, but has always been gentler doing so than the girls. Now he only moves in if I back off a little.
Now I'm wondering if he's too respectful of me, plain shy about his business, or just asexual
roll.png

Have you looked into the archives here to see how to determine if your hens' eggs are fertile? If they are, you know your hens are getting some male attention. If the rooster thinks of you as "Alpha," he may be going behind the woodshed to get some lovin'. Roos generally do not mate directly in front of the alpha roo.

Ineggsperienced...in my experience my girls never "squatted" when pet, until they were being bred. My son now finds it hilarious when he goes to pet the silkies...he thinks he's taught them a "trick"!
gig.gif
It is very likely your girls are being bred if they display that reaction to touching them. Are you going to try and hatch some of their eggs?

Thanks, I'll see if I can figure out if they're fertile or not.
He is a sweetheart and even if he _was- asexual I think he makes his ladies happy, they do keep close to him while free ranging.

Back
Top Bottom