Can my Rooster sleepin in the same coop as my hens?

bannerdb

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 16, 2011
Donegal, Ireland
I just got 4 new hens today. Is it safe to put them into the same coop as my rooster, who has been there for 3 months. He used to share it with his two brothers, but they are now gone, and the hens are in. Will he attack them, or just show them that he is in charge? I don't want to find a bloodbath in the morning when I get down to the coop!

they should be fine but watch them together for the first few hours to see how he reacts.. add the girls at night so everyone is ready for bed.. I have never had problems with a roo accepting new girls..LOl (hubba hubba) .. but I have been VERY lucky with my flock

It will work out--a hen or two may jocky for position and test him, but he'll put them straight and they'll all settle in nicely within a couple of days. I've got 23 Roos and 75 hens and haven't had an issue yet. Make sure you put them in at night--makes the transition easier--they wake up and think they've been together all along.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
lol.png
He chased them around the pen when I put them in first, and was pecking at their necks, but he soon lost interest when he showed them who was in charge. I was just worried that in a more confined environment it may get a little nasty, especially if one of them tries to get up to the top roosting bar. I stayed out and listened for a while after I put them inside, but I didn't hear any activity in there.

Back
Top Bottom