can new birds be successfully added to a small flock

bj taylor

Songster
8 Years
Oct 28, 2011
North Central Texas
i have five birds - four girls and a rooster. i need more girls to have a better balanced flock. i have read it is almost impossible to ad to a small flock and have them accepted. i would want to add like 6 or 7 more. i wouldn't add them until they were near full size. do you think it can be done?

ive done it many times .....ive brought chickens home from the auction and put them right in no horrible problems or anything.....if theyre injured id suggest keeping them serparate untill they are healthy and look good first ive had to do that a time or 2...cause ive found a few chickens at the auction in horrible condition so i buy them and get them back to good health

The safest, easiest way to unite the new birds with old flock is to separate them by wire fence for a few days so they can see each other, fight little bit, but the new ones have a choice of backing off and not being bullied.
This is foolproof always work and frustration free for the owner.

Yes but be sure you quarentine. I did not and introduced a deadly resp infection from healthy appearing birds i bought from a breeder. When you do introduce them let them see each other through fence or chicken wire for a week or two. They will get along fine:)

Yes you can it!

Good advise from all above posters.

I put the new ones in a large dog crate in the main coop for a couple of days. Then I let them all out to free range together.

When they are free ranging they can easily avoid each other and make new friends. Then a roost time they all come in together. There are then only very mild scuffles at rooting time and after a few days everyone is getting on fine. I even do this with new roosters.

thanks y'all for the reassurance. i have been worried about my girls since charlie is so amorous, but couldn't figure out a solution. i will heed the advice about quarantine. it would devastate me if i brought a deadly disease to them. they free range in my big back yard & give lovely eggs - but they have passed on into the category of "pet". they're so special. now, when i take the plunge for meat chickens - i'll be careful not to get so attached.

We have plenty of chickens better to add in equal numbers try not to add one or two with 5 to 10 if you notice any pecking vasoline works great.Good luck

Back
Top Bottom