Can newly hatched chicks live with a fowl pox infected flock

Ch1cken Tender

Songster
Jul 22, 2023
221A Baker Street 😉
I currently have a bantam hen setting on four eggs that are on day 16. Unfortunately, a few of the chickens in my flock have gotten infected with fowl pox. Should I chuck the eggs so that the chicks don’t have to suffer through having the pox or is there a way I can hatch the eggs and keep the chicks safe from the virus?

If you have fowl pox in one bird, then you have Fowl pox in the environment, and it will be for a while. Good chance it won't kill the chicks, good chance it will slowly move through the whole of the flock. Palliative care where needed, grin and bear it.
So… are you saying I should let her hatch the eggs and it will go well? Or should I stop the hatch? Thank you so, so much for replying this fast! 😊

Pox virus is spread by mosquitoes. Try to keep the mosquitoes away from your broody by spray the coop with permethrin 10 concentrate mixed with water 5 ml per quart of water. TSC sells it, and it can be used in a spray bottle. Also, screen wire cut into strips can be used to cover the doors and windows to keep them out.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/gordons-permethrin-10-livestock-and-premise-spray-8-oz
My broody already has a bump on her eyelid, so I assume she has the virus. Do you think it’s a good idea to let the eggs hatch too?

It is up to you. Your new chicks may possibly do fine. Here is what fowl pox looks like on a baby chick:
1695514227166.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom