Fowl Pox?

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
I’m noticing these light colored lumps on my cockerels comb and I think it’s fowl pox. Was hoping someone could help.

We do not plan to keep this cockerel as we cannot have roosters here. Basically he’s a resident till he starts crowing. The plan was to eat him when that happens.

My question is: if it is fowl pox is or safe to eat him? Is this contagious to the flock? I am not planning on treating him for anything but definitely don’t want him to suffer if this is a painful condition. Basically wondering if it’s ok to just leave him till it’s time to cull and make sure it won’t spread to my pullets.

Thanks!
IMG_1780.jpeg

It could be fowl pox. The lesions start out pale like that, and will turn darker and scabby as progresses, and eventually fall off. It's not a worry for you as far as eating him. The dry form (no lesions in the beak or throat) usually runs it's course in weeks, with no real issues. If he were to have the wet form (lesions in the beak and throat) that is more serious and might require more supportive care. The dry form usually doesn't seem to bother them too much. It's transmitted by biting insects, usually mosquito's, but the scabs can also spread it. It's best to leave them alone unless they are really bad, in that case you can dab a bit of iodine on them, gently. Keep feeders and waterers clean, to help prevent the spread. Just keep an eye on him, make sure he's eating and drinking normally.

It could be fowl pox. The lesions start out pale like that, and will turn darker and scabby as progresses, and eventually fall off. It's not a worry for you as far as eating him. The dry form (no lesions in the beak or throat) usually runs it's course in weeks, with no real issues. If he were to have the wet form (lesions in the beak and throat) that is more serious and might require more supportive care. The dry form usually doesn't seem to bother them too much. It's transmitted by biting insects, usually mosquito's, but the scabs can also spread it. It's best to leave them alone unless they are really bad, in that case you can dab a bit of iodine on them, gently. Keep feeders and waterers clean, to help prevent the spread. Just keep an eye on him, make sure he's eating and drinking normally.
Thank you. He’s acting totally normal so it doesn’t seem to be bothering him. That was my main concern. He’s a temporary resident but I want to make sure that time is happy and comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom