Can one incubate chicken eggs with quail eggs?

Lockdown is the most nerve-wracking part of the whole incubation process! It's the last few days when you stop turning the eggs, increase the humidity, keep the incubator closed (I just can't help peeking every once in a while!), and listen closely for any peeping!

I just set 15 A & M quail eggs, and I'm looking for incubating info. This is my 3rd time this year trying to hatch out quail--everything else failed!
hit.gif
The first time, 1 egg unzipped, but that was all. The next time, I tried chicken, guinea, and quail all at the same time, putting them in the incubator so that they would hatch together, and I had a terrible hatch! I had trouble keeping the humidity up (we have a woodstove). Only 1 guinea, no quail, and 9 chickens, most of which had curled toes. only 4 chickens ended up surviving.

Now that summer's here and the humidity's higher, I'm ready to try again. I just hatched 15 chicks! Amazing story....I let 2 broody hens sit on them for most of the time, then brought them into the incubator for hatching. They started with 15 eggs, but because other hens were laying their eggs in the same nests, there ended up being over 40 eggs under my 2 hens! I had no idea which were the original 15, since I never marked them (lesson learned!) I brought 33 into the house, never turned them, and over the next 2 weeks I got about a chick a day! Amazing! Some of those chicks went 14 days without being turned! Every time I thought, "OK; this is it. They're all done," then another chick would hatch!
wee.gif

Uuuhhhhmm. If my quail mate how many weeks or days will it take the egg to go out on her mothers body?
ep.gif
If your quails mate, it is most likely that the female is laying eggs already, or just about to start.

once they mate, the fertile eggs will start almost immediately when she lays her next eggs..

quails lay about an egg per day, and they mate at least that often, too..

be careful to not have too many males with too few females,, they are relentless breeders..
try to have a male for every 6 or 7 females.. If you can segregate them into breeding groups, so much the better..

So since the humidity and temperature are about the same for chicken and quail eggs, I'm assuming that if I add the quail eggs on day three (since they hatch three days earlier) they should all hatch about the same time?

Last edited:
So since the humidity and temperature are about the same for chicken and quail eggs, I'm assuming that if I add the quail eggs on day three (since they hatch three days earlier) they should all hatch about the same time?

it has been a long time since I incubated quail eggs.
one thing I remember is that they come out of the egg on a dead run.. and they can hide under the smallest cover.
........jiminwisc.........

Back
Top Bottom