Can Pasty Butt be Avoided?

wsdareme

Songster
9 Years
Mar 9, 2010
Yelm, WA
I've had problems with pasty butt with the first two batches of chicks I've had. I have a new batch that are now 5 days old. I've had them on paper towels (no shavings underneath) since they hatched. My question is: Is there an age that chicks reach that they are beyond the pasty butt problem? Or are they always going to have some issues the first time they are exposed to (and eat) shavings? They're pooping so much now that I have to change the paper towels frequently -- I'd really like to switch to shavings. But I just HATE having to torture the poor little things with wet washcloths to try to soften the hardened poop and get it off their tender little butts. Any advice or pearls of wisdom?
jumpy.gif

I haven't had much problem with pasty butt myself, and I wasn't aware that it had anything to do with eating pine shavings. If one of my chicks gets pasty, I just pull the little blockage right off of its bum. Usually, after once or twice I never have a problem again. Maybe, it's the diet? Or a high stress situation?

My daughter told me to add organic apple cider vinegar (with the mother) to their water from day one. I have had minimal problems -- 1 chick out of 7 suffered with it for a couple of days, but they are all fine now (at 12 days). Don't know if the ACV is the reason or not. The one with pasty butt arrived with it. I use a capful in the quart waterer.

Quote:

Howdy, neighbor!

I usually use paper towels for 5 or 6 days, too. If I have a chick with pasty butt, I run a gentle stream of warm water from the tap and hold it's bottom under it until it loosens up the poo. Then I dab until dry. It seems to be easier on them than wiping. I usually don't have a lot of problems with this, but never have after the first week.

I add a little rooster booster (probiotics) to the water the first 10 days or so, and I never use sugar as advised by many. I only feed medicated chick starter and make sure I keep them at the right temp.

The pasty butt issue has been worse with shipped chicks than with ones I hatch. In fact, the ones I have hatched have never had a problem. The shipped ones are more stressed, I'm sure. Out of 25 that I usually have shipped, only one or two have had this problem. I go with Privett (but I order online through Welp - same company) since they are the only real hatchery in the west, hoping that this reduces stress.

Beat of luck to you!

ohhh I dont think pasty butt has anything to do with bedding etc There are 2 main reasons; they are either too hot or too cold. I always have at least one every batch that gets it. I used to hate cleaning and hurting their bottoms but I found a really easy way! I get a Q tip and wet the end and twirl it around their vent. Once I get it unblocked, I give their bottoms a hair cut with manicure scissors. Thats prevents it from happening again. After a couple weeks there are less prone to pasty butt I guess I should say. Ohh and you may need a few Q tips! lol

The pasty butt issue has been worse with shipped chicks than with ones I hatch. In fact, the ones I have hatched have never had a problem. The shipped ones are more stressed, I'm sure. Out of 25 that I usually have shipped, only one or two have had this problem. I go with Privett (but I order online through Welp - same company) since they are the only real hatchery in the west, hoping that this reduces stress.

I wonder if its because they are too cold? hmm you got me thinking about the stress. That may cause pasty butt also. idk​

As long as you hatch them yourself and they never get chilled... I've almost never had pasty butt issues even when I put them on savings after two days. Pasty butt as mentioned is usually due to stress, and if you hatch your own, it's usually not an issue. Almost all feed store chicks in early spring have pasty butt due to shipping stress and/or chilling.

ohh I think I have it. Maybe when I chick is too hot or cold, the chick gets stressed which in turn makes it get pasty butt. Thats makes sense! That is why chicks with broody hens dont get pasty butt as often.

Back
Top Bottom