Can pullet also hump?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by riverdreamer, Jul 29, 2013.

1. riverdreamer

riverdreamer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2013
    Sugar Land, Texas
    [​IMG]

I got this black coper maran supposedly a pullet couple weeks ago. I assume she is about 3 months old. She is aggressive towards my dozen other mixed assortment of pullets. This morning I found her jumping on my Americauna pullet and trying to pull hackle out. It seems like a rooster behavior.

Can pullet also have this kind of behavior or I'm simplest duped gotten a cockerel?

Thanks!

2. Bens-Hens

Bens-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

That is some pretty big comb and wattle there for 12 weeks old.

I would think that is a male, sorry.

3. riverdreamer

riverdreamer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2013
    Sugar Land, Texas
    [​IMG]

One more picture for clarity. She does seems to have thicker legs than others. I was told this is Bev's line Black Copper Maran. Pullet or cockerel?

4. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    That looks like a rooster and that sounds like rooster behaviour that you have described. Have you heard any crowing yet?

5. pipemum

pipemum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    I'm pretty sure that is a rooster. I don't think pullets get the red in their shoulders/wings like that.

6. DelcoChix

DelcoChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    In my (limited) experience raising day old Blue and Black Copper Marans, it has always been pretty obvious by 3-4 weeks which were girls and boys, combs always larger and redder in the boys fairly early on--at that age I'd agree, you got duped, he's a he!
    (although it is not unusual for a hen to take over the dominant traits of a rooster if there isn't one there to begin with, including the jumping of the other girls, more as a dominance thing though, not a reproduction thing...but at such I young age as yours I'd definitely say it's true testosterone at work[​IMG])

7. Eggsalad

Eggsalad Chillin' With My Peeps

Pretty sure that is a male, females tend to not have near that much color either. Too bad, going to be a pretty boy though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by