Can pullets get tamed if not been handled?

First time buying pullets and wonder if it will be difficult to tame them. I usually by babies and all mine are friendly. Anyone have experience with taming grown chickens who have not been handled much from the breeder?
Yes!
Following a daily routine to desensitise, calm and reward them. I’m doing the same right now with 6 week old pullets.They are getting tamer quite quickly. Note your progress so you stay encouraged. Some breeds are easier than others but these are a domesticated species afterall !

For me tame means they come to me for food and don't run when I walk in the coop. Don't like being picked up is fine, but mine don't scream or struggle if I do....two of my six now will jump on my shoulder or lap when I got some goodies. To me that is tame.
You don't need to handle chicks to get them to behave that way. I don't handle my birds any more than is necessary and most are pretty friendly. A couple of the olive eggers get skittish if you walk right up to them but some of the others (particularly the cream legbar I nicknamed "pet") will hop in my lap if I let them.

While some breeds and individual birds vary, chickens tend to like people if they don't go out of their way to be scary.

Back
Top Bottom